Still waffling... Mini, iMac, MacPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gooter, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Gooter macrumors member

Gooter

I come to you once again for wisdom and guidance. With the new MacPro's and no updates to iMac or Mini, I am still unsure as ever on what to get. Remember this will be my first Mac experience.

Here are my computing needs in no particular order:
    1. Light to moderate gaming (some classics like Rise of Nations, KOTOR, WoW and possibly some new ones that may be released)
    2. Office work (spreadsheets, word processing)
    3. Web surfing
    4. Photo & video for personal use (editing home movies, turning into DVD's, storing and organizing both photos and movies)
    5. (Removed professional vid/pho editing)

Current hardware I would like to still use but do not necessarily have to: 21.6" WS LCD, Kb/mouse

Other considerations:
    --would like it to last as long as possible
    --would like ability to upgrade to help prolong usable life
    --we will be a 3 desktop PC household (currently, only use 2... wife and I. We have 2 young kids ages 2 yrs and 2 mos and will need something for them in a few years)

So, here are my thoughts:

MacMini - "The Sedan"
    --it is the cheapest solution (under budget)
    --a good first desktop to get experience w/Macs
    --should be able to do what I need it to do except for gaming
    --ability to use current LCD and Kb/mouse
    --can shift it over to wife and/or kids in a few years and still be usable for them
    --more money left over for RAM upgrade and TimeCapsule (if I decide to get it)

OR

iMac 24" 2.4GHz 500GB - "The SUV"
    --mid range price option (meets budget)
    --slightly more powerful/upgradeable than Mini so should last longer
    --excellent choice based on needs, even for gaming
    --again, can shift to wife and kids in a few years
    --can't use current LCD
    --other than 3rd pty RAM, no funds leftover for anything extra
    --if it had a better gfx chip, then I would definitely get this today.

OR

MacPro - "The Exotic Sports Car"
    --most expensive option (over budget but would try to work it in)
    --the most powerful/upgradeable choice therefore longer usable life
    --surpasses my needs to the point of overkill
    --can use current LCD and Kb/mouse
    --would not shift to wife and kids in a few years as I would still be using it :D

I should also note I can wait a few months (summer) before getting a Mac. As anxious and excited as I am in wanting to get one, my current Windows PC is still adequate. So, worth holding out for possible gfx chip update to iMac?

Please help this waffler make up his mind!

Thanks

EDIT
    Forgot to ask if I should also post this in the Mini, iMac and MacPro sub forums as not sure if those viewers also view this forum?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd stop short of the Mac Pro unless you're running really heavy-duty apps. From what you say, the iMac would probably be the best way to go - get yourself a mini-dvi to dvi (or vga) adaptor and you can still use your existing monitor as a second screen.

3. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Get the iMac, as I love my Mini I will be getting the iMac once I get my new house. The mini struggles a little bit with downloading my HD movies from digital camera and I don't game.

Mini will work great as my media server since I will have structured wiring throughout the new house.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

please don't post the same thread multiple times in more than one forum. it will be seen and found just fine being posted just once.

you can still use your monitor with the imac btw. so don't rule that out.

and the imac would be the best fit for you.

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I agree, the iMac is the best fit for you. That GPU will come in handy.

6. Gooter thread starter macrumors member

Gooter

sorry about that! looks like someone already deleted my other posts. :p

7. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I think the iMac suits your needs the most although it can't be upgraded very easily. You could always use your extra monitor in a dual screen setup. If you buy a low end iMac now or when they're updated you can definitely just save the money that didn't go into the mac pro and use that for your next purchase a few years down the road.

If you think that the mac pro is what you're set on then just put in the extra money. They're incredible machines and will last you a long time.

8. itou macrumors regular

mac mini or imac would be my choice depending on whether or not you want to keep your display.

i usually recommend the best you can afford, but in your case, i don't think you can afford a mac pro.

9. andrewag macrumors 6502

Write the Mac mini off because it won't do any gaming. If you're not fussed about games running at the best res, an iMac will do casual gaming without problems.

10. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Get the 2.4Ghz iMac, should suit your needs well. :apple: