Still waiting for a screen font "resizer" for OSX...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hakr, Dec 25, 2009.

1. hakr macrumors regular

Just upgraded to a 27" iMac and of couse the screen fonts are now smaller as a result of the higher screen resolution.

Has anyone come up with a program that "resizes and resets" the screen fonts for most programs that work under OSX, so you don't have to go into ZOOM every time you run a program in order to see type on the screen? Even Windozes allows this! :)

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I haven't.

Have you done a search on the internet?

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I tried a couple programs I can't recall that claimed to do this but never worked right and others backed up my experiences. It really is ridiculous that such a basic thing is not an OS option.

4. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...I've been searching off and on for about two years...and have never found anything that works.

Crikey...even windows can do this! :rolleyes:

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, maybe I misunderstood the goal. If it's the fonts in a window, that can be resized within some application preferences. You just select a larger minimum font. I know it's a global solution you're after, but I don't know if there is one. If you also want the window title bars to resize, I think the only way is to mess with the screen resolutions.

6. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Most of the apps I have encountered do not allow for a "resizing" within the app that will stick.

Indeed, a global solution that works with most apps and such things as windows title bars would be very nice. On the new I7 iMac monitors, the system and windows fonts are very, very small.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ah, the standard response, "Mac OS can't do this but Windows can". :rolleyes: Both platforms offer something the other doesn't. Just because you can't resize fonts on OS X doesn't mean that response was necessary. If you've actually been searching for this feature for 2 years then I would recommend you go to Apple's website and post this suggestion, if you haven't already done so.

8. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

The ability to resize fonts as I've described is an important feature, especially to those whose vision has faded a bit since their 20's and 30's.

The real is why can't one easily resize fonts on a mac? Another question might be, why hasn't a third-party developer offered up such ability "for real" in a utility package?

I use macs and windows machines, pretty much interchangeably. In most instances, they work about the same. It's not too much to expect that the mac OS and hardware would skip on a fairly significant feature.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Been there, done that.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.... and?

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is what the Universal Access preferences pane was designed to do. What do you require that this preferences pane cannot do?

13. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

You mean, tapping in four keystrokes each and every time?

What I require is a simple and permanent (until I change it) way to increase the size of the fonts that show on screen in the OS and in apps without a lot of fuss or muss.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's called Resolution Independence.

Look here for a hack.

It's not perfect because Apple hasn't yet caught up to Windows yet, hopefully it still works for you in SL.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to make things that hard, then yes.

16. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Even the Windows solution is more elegant. Get into appearance, and you can easily change the on screen typefaces and sizes of most of what appears in your program headers, windows, body type, et cetera, and they will stay that way until you reset them to something else.

It is an important feature missing from macs, more important than having 200,000 apps for your cell phone, even.

17. ttopp macrumors regular

erm maybe im being silly but kin you no just change the resolution???

that would be the easiest way no??

18. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

There are downsides to that. Hey, I don't think I am asking the impossible here...and I don't think I am the only mac user who would like the faciilty to change the size of on-screen type...

19. ttopp macrumors regular

you can on some programs. Also in finder you can change in folder type size i take it you mean the menu bar yes?? cos thats the only font i cant change.

you could invest in an eye test lol

sorry i do understand what you mean and i dont know of a program that let you change the menu font sizes.

20. Keram macrumors newbie

this is so true...just switched from Windows to mac 2 days ago by shelling out $$$ for an imac27 - i am not usderstanding how such a basic thing was over-looked.

hope they will fix it through an update soon as my eyes hurt trying to find the right icon to click.

21. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

And Tinker Tool does not do what is needed...