Still waiting for an update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rock4Light, Oct 3, 2007.

  1. Rock4Light macrumors newbie

    Jul 25, 2007
    I've learned a lot from this site. I'm 42 and my only computer experience has been a Dell that I have at work. And 90% of that is writing on Word documents. This site - including this message board - has expanded my computer knowledge considerably. Now, I've had no interest in computers to begin with, so maybe that's not saying much, but still... And honestly, I don't understand most of what people are talking about, but someday soon I will.

    So, sometime around the beginning of 2007 I began to take an interst in the use of computers in art. I used to do some graphic art, but have been in my current job (social work) for the last 13 years. I've never done anything art related on a computer so it was completely foriegn to me. I asked a few people I knew some questions and one person in particular who explained things in a very clear manner to me. With his help I began to actually understand some things about computers - Macs in particular. He also recommended I check out this site, including the info on when to buy.

    On this forum I learned a lot from people's posts. I didn't, and still don't, understand most of it, but what I could understand helped a lot. There are a few posters that especially had good insights and comments (that someone on my level could understand), but so many others were about cynicism (I don't know people could get bitter and cynical when it came to computers!) and waiting for updates.

    I was debating an iMac or Mac Pro, but after the iMac update I decided to go with the Pro. Okay, so now I need to wait for the update on the Mac Pro? Some of people's theories on when an update would come were worse than armchair sports talk.

    Instead, a month ago I bought a Mac Pro and a 23" display. Ha ha! My very first computer ever! Maybe an update will come tomorrow, but in the meantime, I've taken on a few art projects that will pay for half of the cost within the next month. More in the upcoming months will surely have me taking in more money than it cost. Plus, I've gotten a business license that help me with tax write offs. And even if there was no money involved, I'm havin' a blast!

    My point (and this goes out to the younger people on here that whine about not having the money because they're in college or whatever) is that if you really want a Mac - find a way to get it. Don't wait for an unknown update because if you really want get somewhere with your Mac (that's assuming you don't want to just play games on it) you'll be able to afford it in the future anyways!
  2. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    Great story... but. I disagree. Especially for someone who does have to save money to get a Mac Pro. Why would you spend months saving to buy an outdated model. That is not being smart with your money, it just isn't.

    Especially when you consider what is waiting in the wings. Worst case, you don't like the new one, and you buy the old one refurb and save more money.

    It is getting to a point where it is foolish to buy one now. Unless you absolutely need a Mac Pro at this very moment otherwise you will lose thousands of dollars. Yes, buy all means, go for it. But telling people who are saving their money to just buy is bad advice. Waiting gives you more options (i.e. refurbs at lower cost) and will add longevity to your Mac as it will be newly refreshed.

    While I am sure some will appreciate your opinion, at least offer smart advice to those who can't afford in an immediate way like others can.
  3. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Aug 7, 2006
    See, I had my choice between an O'rly owl, the "HA HA" guy, a picture of the Waaaaaahmbulance, or a lolcat.

    But, since I KNOW you hate waiting, I just will give them all to you, right now.

    Attached Files:

  4. disconap macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    If the current Mac Pro has everything you need (and think you will need for years to come), buy it. If you want newer and can wait, then wait; better yet, wait until the next gen comes out and then buy the current one used from someone who is a chip-monkey and has to have the newest toy; you'll get it much cheaper, and since it's from someone who needs top of the line, it'll probably have some neat upgrades and add-ons (like more RAM, more hard drive space, a different graphics card, etc.).

    At this point, the current Mac Pro won't be outdated for a few years. The update will add maybe 6 months or so to whatever that is. Your call, but I say buy what you want when you want.

    Think of it like cars--there are numerous approaches to car ownership. Buying new and running into the ground (which is my approach to towers); continually buy and selling used to keep current enough (my approach to personal laptops); buying old and fixing up/suping up (my approach to intern computers); leasing; etc. Whatever works best for you is what is best for you.

    All that said, I personally would probably wait for the next gen. Then again, I will probably skip the next gen and possibly buy the one after it, as I have a perfectly serviceable machine. The only real argument for waiting is to wait until November so you get Leopard with it.

    Also, if money is an issue, be patient and keep an eye on the refurbished towers in the Apple store, you'll save a good $4-800 easily. Good luck!
  5. SDAVE macrumors 68040


    Jun 16, 2007
    The iMac is pretty good for graphics work, since it's an all in one solution...although I really dislike all in ones...the processor and stuff on it is already fast enough for photoshop & illustrator (assuming that's whats you're going to use).

    Do you plan on doing any motion design? If yes, then the Mac Pro without a doubt. Nobody here knows when the new ones are coming out, but I would recommend that you wait a bit to see what's going on and work with what you have now.
  6. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a


    Feb 5, 2007
    I hope no one listens to you. When I bought my SINGLE 1.8GHz G5, a month later the DUALS came out for the same price. I hate your kind! :mad:
  7. darthraige macrumors 68000


    Aug 8, 2007
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    Let's just all pray a MacPro update (whether it's silent or at a media event) comes with Leopard or two weeks after.
  8. Alpinism macrumors regular

    Oct 28, 2005
    the glossy screen on the imac pretty much EXCLUDE any serious art that requires true color accuracy.

    I have been waiting for more than 6 months but i know my mac pro is going to come with much much better GPU and also the new OS.
  9. Rock4Light thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 25, 2007
    The glossy vs matte finish display was an issue I learned about from this forum. Of course, I didn't know anything about computers (and very little right now), but just sitting at work on this Dell writing on Word drives me crazy with glare and everything else going on.

    I just did a business card for someone. It involved a small illustration and painting (both done by hand on paper) and then combined with some font and color. Although I have worked in graphic arts years ago, I have no computer experience except for what I'm doing now. And so far this computer will pay for itself in the next few months as I finish the other projects I've begun to take on. Now, if you want to just have the newest model - fine, that's a valid reason. But if you really want to have a Mac - not for the sake of having it, but for a bigger purpose you wish to get to - get going. If a new Mac Pro comes out tomorrow, I don't care my few month old one will be just fine and dandy. I'm not talking about computers, but about ones emotions and psychology.

    "Don't wait. The time will never be just right"
    - Napoleon Hill
  10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

    Mad Mac Maniac

    Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yes I agree. To an extent. We shouldn't spend our lives just waiting and waiting for new things. We will always be holding out for the next thing instead of just buying the now thing.

    But with that being said there are still numerous other factors which dictate to wether or now you should make your purchase immediately. Price, urgency, and degree of likelihood of update are the three man factors that leap to mind. Before a purchase you should examine these three things. i.e. If there are rumors that an update is coming within a week you should not buy one unless it is absolutely necessary.

    But I agree it would be better to make a "foolish" (even though buying an Apple product should never be seen as foolish) purchase than wait over a year, macless, for an update.

Share This Page