Still waiting for SSD falling prices??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ciberkarlos, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ciberkarlos macrumors member

I want to replace my MBP 13" 2010 HDD for a SSD. I don't want to remove my SuperDrive, so i want, at least, a 256gb SSD like the Crucial M4 (which i can buy right now at 270€). Will prices continue falling down from here to summer, or should i get one now? I could wait until the end of the summer, but not far, cause i want to update my MBP soon.

Thx and sorry for my english.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm waiting for reliable 1TB or greater SSD's. I will shortly be using a Pegasus R4 with T'bolt..If the speeds are to be believed, 120MBS is not too shabby!..:)

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Personally, no hard data to to back it up, I think the prices will continue south similar to RAM prices.

4. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

My Scorpio Black failed so I couldn't wait any longer. Ordered the Crucial M4 512GB. Getting excited.

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Let's hope that Apple will reflect the falling SSD prices.

Current upgrade pricing to a 512 Gb SSD in an MBP is $1200!

6. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Yep, that pricing is absolutely insane. I hope that prices will continue falling a little bit more soon. Do you think that is reallistic thinking that 256gb Crucial M4 will be under 200€ (260$) in a few months, or should i stop dreaming and get a new one right now??

(BTW, do you know a good deal for the Crucial M4 256??

Thanks a lot.

7. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I'm personally fine with 256 gb SSD (that's what I got myself). I store my heavy media files (music, pictures, videos, films, etc) in an external hard drive, so the SSD is plentiful for work files.

No chance I'm going to pay $1200 for the 512 gb option!

8. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

SSD's have come down a lot in the last 12 month

9. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

For me, it'll depend all on the next generation MBP.

If there will be an HDD in the Superdrive bay (make that 750 Gb), then a 120 Gb SSD start-up and work disc will be fine.

Still, a price of $1 per Gb on SSDs should be within reach soon.

To the OP: If you need a new disc now then I wouldn't wait. Prices come down gradually and don't drop like Walmart stock.

10. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Everything becomes cheaper as technology continuously improves and becomes more efficient...you can bet SSDs will replace hard drives in the near future entirely at very similar prices. Of course by then there will be some new data drive that makes SSDs look like slugs

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/users/swanson/papers/FAST2012BleakFlash.pdf

Quite a good read if your interested. Talks about the underlying problem with NAND flash and it's perhaps bleak future (20 odd years from now). Essentially as density increases; reliability, lifetime and latency take a big hit. It seems we may soon hit the high point in terms of SSD read/write speeds, and after that anyone wanting serious storage may have to accept the decreased performance.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what comes next for a new generation of storage.

12. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everybody for your comments. I think i will wait to see which prices will the SSD reach at the end of summer, with new iMacs and MacBooks out.

I don't expect huge falls of prices, but 1$ for 1gb will be so good for me (now, in Spain they are at 1,6$ more or less).

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I paid $165 for my 128 GB about 2 months ago. Today it's down to $140. And if you buy from B&H, you can bundle and get 20% off their price, putting the 128 at $125 or a 256 for $250ish. That is only if you are buying a new computer as well. But still, I think $1 per GB is right around the corner. No regrets at all on my purchase, even for what I paid. And as someone else stated, put the 750 GB drive in the opti bay and 128 is plenty. I've only used 20 GB, so I probably could have gotten the 64!

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

they also charge $200 for 8GB of RAM that is $50 everywhere else, apples upgrade prices do not reflect the market price

15. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

20 years? Isn't that a bit too far out in the future to be worrying about this? 20 years ago I was using a Commodore 64 with a cassette drive.

16. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

The point is that i don't want to expend more money on an optibay+a case for the superdrive (about 90bucks?), since i just want to replace my HDD (which is 256gb, btw) for a SSD of the same size. 256gb is enough for me, actually, i just use 70gb of my HDD right now. Where did you get that deal?? 140$ for 128gb is good for me, since in Spain prices are more expensive.

17. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

I have yet to experience the SSD speed bump, so I will continue to hold out for the future BLAZING QUAD-CORE / SSD / 16GB quantum leap.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSD prices drop linearly. You won't see a sudden drop unless there is a massive transition to e.g. TLC NAND.

19. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

I paid $579 for a Crucial M4 512GB yesterday. Prices are coming down and yes, Apple needs to implement a better system for current parts prices.

20. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Amazon.

21. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

People have to keep in mind that Apple isn't really a reseller in the true sense of the word. They negotiate their prices at the release of a new product, purchase the futures on such product at the negotiated price of the time, add in a mark up to cover product storage, and overhead costs (labor, store front prices, etc).

It is the overhead that causes the markup. For the most part we love Apples model, and the ability to walk into a store and receive full service (all of those services come at a price). If we were to complain about parts pricing, why don't we complain about overall pricing. By this I mean, why is it that the prices of the items never drop over the life of the product. We know the new release is inevitable, but the pricing remains the exact same as it was when the price was released (and will be so until the day the new version is released, even then it will be hard to get an older product at a discounted price. Sometimes you will find a limited few in the stores, but generally they are not sold, advertised, etc and sent back to be unloaded to third party group buyers or the refurb store). Other comparable products prices drop as the product gains age (and usually market share as well) and as the new versions are released, but this is not the case with the fixed pricing Apple has that keeps the prices high.

This is just their marketing scheme and we all like the products so we accept it and pay the price. It would be nice to have the same pricing as other retailers such as Wal-MArt and NewEgg, but it just isn't going to happen.

22. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I'm personally holding out for a 512GB for under $500. Always toyed with the idea of just taking out the Super Drive, but i think i would just much rather have one large drive.

23. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

20 years was more like when NAND chips will reach a point where they will reach a brick wall and cannot be improved. They will be (perhaps a matter of a few years) reaching bottlenecks in terms of performance/density ratio at a good cost. This isn't going to be a problem for the majority of us domestic users (personally, 256GB is plenty for me, if that), it's more of a worry for enterprises who will need that huge volume of storage at reasonable prices.

Not worried about it personally, I just enjoyed reading up on the subject. I'm sure in 5 or 10 years time we'll come across some great new data storage alternative.

Also, C64 was out 30 years ago, what were you doing still using it when the SNES was being released? :p

----------

Apple product prices don't drop because they have much greater longevity than other products, they don't have the competition, and Apple don't release several revisions per year (whereas others use all sorts of silly names to identify their mass of products such as HP g6-1204sa).

Apple hasn't got a valid reason for such a huge markup on upgradeables like RAM and SSDs. It's not as if they mass-ordered them years ago when prices were huge and keep stock for ages.

24. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

As others have said the prices are going to drop like a stone. If you need one now then I would pick one up. I but a 240GB Intel 520 SSD that I got for $330 and I think it was worth it. The performance gains are really quite amazing you'll be really happy that you upgraded.

25. bozz2006, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

And I paid $289 for my 120GB Vertex 3 12 months ago!!