Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripDaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Typing this on my new iPad 2. Glad I waited seven hours in line on launch day. Guess it's better than waiting days for the package to finally arrive. :)

Shout out to my fellow 'planners'! Here's to leaving nothing to chance!!!

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Not for me. I'd rather wait a bit (mine will be here weds or thurs) than waste hours in line personally. I've never waited in line to spend my money on something and never will sans some kind of apocalyptic disaster that requires waiting in line for food, water or other necessities.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
What I wanna know is how come I have an iPad 1 AND a Xoom and I'm STILL caught up in the launch frenzy??? :rolleyes:

Man, I am an Infinity Blade nut.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I waited 10 hours for the iPad 2, and while I agree it was totally worth it, I think this thread is really pointless and contributes nothing.

And for anyone who says waiting in line is a waste of time, there are lots of cool people to talk to, and if you plan it out right you have plenty of things to do. I watched two movies and played lots of iPhone games. I was never "wasting time" in my mind, it was quite fun.

TripDaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Not for me. I'd rather wait a bit (mine will be here weds or thurs) than waste hours in line personally. I've never waited in line to spend my money on something and never will sans some kind of apocalyptic disaster that requires waiting in line for food, water or other necessities.

Have you ever waited in line to buy movie tickets, order a meal, or go on an amusement ride just to name a few? My guess is that you have. That said, can you remember how long you waited? I'm sure at some point in your life, you waited at least one hour, if not more, for something. Did you use that 'something' (certain things excluded of course :)) for hours, days, months, or years afterwards? If not, does waiting in line for something that you will use for months or years seem so unreasonable?

I'm also guessing that you worked hard to earn the money you used to buy the iPad 2. If you worked hard to earn the money, doesn't it stand to reason that you would work hard to acquire the iPad?

Just food for thought...

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
And for anyone who says waiting in line is a waste of time, there are lots of cool people to talk to, and if you plan it out right you have plenty of things to do. I watched two movies and played lots of iPhone games. I was never "wasting time" in my mind, it was quite fun.

It would be a waste for me. I'm a college professor so I'm always busy and just can't afford to waste hours in line on a workday.

Especially since I wouldn't find it fun as I'm impatient and not much for chatting with random folks (especially Apple fans since I mostly hate Apple and feel kind of dirty giving in and getting an iPad :D). Plus I would have had to miss a very good guest lecture on campus Friday to have waited in line.

Have you ever waited in line to buy movie tickets, order a meal, or go on an amusement ride just to name a few? My guess is that you have. That said, can you remember how long you waited? I'm sure at some point in your life, you waited at least one hour, if not more, for something. Did you use that 'something' (certain things excluded of course :)) for hours, days, months, or years afterwards? If not, does waiting in line for something that you will use for months or years seem so unreasonable?

I can't recall ever waiting in line to buy something for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

I'm not big on having to have the hot gadget at launch, don't go to movies on opening weekends when it's crowded etc.

The few things I've got at launch have been things like game consoles and I just preorder them and pick them up hours after opening on launch day when the lines are died down since they give you 48 hours to pick up preorders. And even that I haven't done since probably the Gamecube launch back in 2001 or whenever.

I've just got better things to do with my time.

I'm also guessing that you worked hard to earn the money you used to buy the iPad 2. If you worked hard to earn the money, doesn't it stand to reason that you would work hard to acquire the iPad?

Umm...no. I work hard for my money. I'm not going to work hard to spend it. Spending money should be easy. That's why I pretty much do all my shopping outside of groceries/toiletries/clothing online these days. Just like I ordered my iPad 2 online. :D

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Typing this on my new iPad 2. Glad I waited seven hours in line on launch day. Guess it's better than waiting days for the package to finally arrive. :)

Shout out to my fellow 'planners'! Here's to leaving nothing to chance!!!

Shame on us people who have jobs and had to work Friday and couldn't get to the line in time.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Shame on us people who have jobs and had to work Friday and couldn't get to the line in time.

Yeah, I got off work Friday and when my wife and I got to the Apple store, there were about 500 people in line. We had a choice - stand in line for hours, or go to dinner at a Brazilian all-you-can-eat steakhouse.

Hmmmmmm. Needless to say, today I have no iPad 2... :rolleyes:

Drebin198

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Stood in line for 5 mins at my local Target. In and out. Pissed off a few folks who waited for three hours haha. Oh well.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I went the Craigslist route. I knew someone that bought one would be selling. Gave the guy 800 for a 32gig 3G model, he got out clean and $20 extra bucks for the trouble. He was asking $900, I showed up with $800 cash in hand and it was a done deal. He learned quickly that to many people on CL are flakey and don't show up or return a call. Happy with the purchase and the fact I didn't spend a minute in line for it. I did a 3 hour wait for the iPhone 4 and decided I wouldn't do that again, always someone willing to deal. :)

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
This thread is pathetic. It's attitudes like this that give apple buyers a bad reputation. Sounds like you're gloating to those who still don't have one. Am I missing the point?

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Umm...no. I work hard for my money. I'm not going to work hard to spend it. Spending money should be easy. That's why I pretty much do all my shopping outside of groceries/toiletries/clothing online these days. Just like I ordered my iPad 2 online. :D

And keep doing it... you will be be the one laughing at all the guinea pigs who had to pay the extra $50-$100 in taxes.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It's total gloating, but hey, MR is chock full of it.

I don't really care. :p

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Yeah, I got off work Friday and when my wife and I got to the Apple store, there were about 500 people in line. We had a choice - stand in line for hours, or go to dinner at a Brazilian all-you-can-eat steakhouse.

Hmmmmmm. Needless to say, today I have no iPad 2... :rolleyes:

I would have done the same! sounds yummy!

I tried the Xoom and really enjoyed some it's features but think I'll wait for the wifi only version later this month. I would kill for a browser on the iPad that had those custom controls like the stock Honeycomb has. Really great to see another tablet actually available to buy and not vaporware. Google voice search integration is amazing as well. It will be fun to mess with the Xoom while the wife takes the iPad hostage for days at a time.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
And keep doing it... you will be be the one laughing at all the guinea pigs who had to pay the extra $50-$100 in taxes.

That didn't matter this time. Apple.com has to charge taxes if they have a location in your state (just like all online orders) and they have locations everywhere.

So it cost the the same as if I'd bought it local. I just didn't have to waste time waiting inline, around people I mostly don't get along with (apple fans, tech geeks etc.) and got to attend a great lecture on campus that I'd have had to skip to line up and had a great happy hour with my colleagues and the guest speakers afterwards! :D

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010

Just food for thought...

What are you talking about? I choose to work and have fun while I wait a few extra days to have it shipped to my door. The biggest plus is that I didnt have to stand in line with people like you.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
If you worked hard to earn the money, doesn't it stand to reason that you would work hard to acquire the iPad?

No. That makes absolutely no sense. I assume one would stand in line to purchase the iPad, though assumably with some distorted perspective on the world (considering a single company shouldn't acquire sales so easily), with a degree of satisfaction at play. Working for something twice doesn't make sense.

imutter

macrumors 6502
Even if I had planed on going to the Apple store on Friday/ rush hour traffic/ after I had picked up my kid (With sensory issues) from school/ racing in rain/ looking for parking/ waiting for hours/ and ending up to find out they are sold out 10 people in front of us ............we had flooded river and would not even had been able to go! So getting up at 4am and ordering online was safer/ easier/ no trouble for my kid/ no dissapointment of not getting one/ and not wasting hours of my time.......
Now if I did not have a family and lived in the City why not!

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Working for something twice doesn't make sense.

Exactly. We work hard for our money. Spending it should be easy. We're giving our money to a company, they should make it as easy as possible. Lining up for hours isn't doing that unless you're one who truly enjoys doing it and hanging out with other fans of whatever you're waiting on etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.