Still waiting to get my MBP but now I have hit another hurdle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibizarocks, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2007
    OK so I've been waiting to get an MBP since mid september because of the close release date of Leopard. The reason I did this was so that I could buy a machine with Leopard pre-installed. Today apple announces Leopard and I see this message:

    Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.

    If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you're eligible to get Leopard after it's released for just £5.95.

    My plan was to buy it off the site on Oct 27th so that it would come pre-installed but according to this statement this may not be the case. Am I wasting my time in waiting till then or are apple just covering themselves a bit and mine will have an 80 to 90% chance of coming with Leopard pre-installed?

    thanks guys
  2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 17, 2007
    I am pretty sure that any machine bought after Oct 26th will have Leopard preinstalled.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Likely the machines ordered from the AppleStore will the amongst the first to get Leopard, as soon as the warehouse gets their hands on them they will likely open the boxes and drop Leopard inside.

    Especially if it is a BTO machine.
  4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
    Yeah, the wording is horribly confusing. It feels like playing the lottery where I might or might not pay more for a computer where I should get the OS for free.
  5. MDiddy macrumors regular


    Jul 24, 2002
    If they handle Leopard anything like they've done OS upgrades going back as far as Mac OS 8, It'll probably be 6-8 weeks before machines start showing up with Leopard pre-installed. In the mean time, machines will either come with the Leopard upgrade included as as separate DVD you need to install, or a coupon to get the update disc from Apple via mail.
  6. Arsonic macrumors newbie

    Oct 3, 2007
    Thanks for the info guys, I too have been waiting to purchase a MBP with leopard on it.

    My current plan is to order on the 26th after 6pm through the online store and wait and see what I get in the box. If it doesn't have a coupon or DVD and by the looks of it Apple aren't doing the Up To Date thing here in the UK, then I'll just buy it in a shop somewhere locally.
  7. kwfl macrumors 6502

    Aug 20, 2007
    where exactly is that statement, i could get leopard for 5.95 then.

    i found where it says that for US only for $9.95
    but not for UK.
  8. KingYaba macrumors 68040


    Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
  9. mavherzog macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2005
    Columbus, WI
    Why does it matter? As long as you get Leopard, who cares if it is preinstalled? Since when did installing OS X become this daunting task? (just curious because I've seen a lot of threads like this lately)
  10. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2007
    it's just a hassle that's all. if i get an mbp now i'll have to remove everything and then install leopard and then put everything back on. if it just comes with it pre-installed it saves me a lot of time that I don't have to waste on something like updating the OS.
  11. Lifeguy macrumors member

    Sep 17, 2007
    Actually you're wrong. There have been numerous people that have spoken to reps from Apple saying that any machine ordered on/after October 26th will have Leopard pre-installed.

    I'm not sure if this also applies to the machines being sold at the retail stores.
  12. mandoman macrumors 6502


    Nov 8, 2005
    Pre-install sucks. They load all of the additional languages,
    fonts, printer drivers, and demo apps you probably don't need = gigs of wasted space.

    First thing I do when I get an new mac, after checking and
    making sure everything is cool, is wipe the hard drive and
    do a clean install, making sure to do a 'custom' install
    and only install the things that are really needed.

    $10 for up2date Leopard is nothing given the overall cost of the computer.
    Buy now and enjoy the computer 10 days sooner!
  13. feyn-man macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2007
    There is a problem. If two type MBP, tiger pre-installed & leopard pre-installed, will be at one seller, how can they make the customers to buy a tiger one? Or they will spend so much time to install new system to all old tiger machines?

    I think there may be two ways:
    A. APPLE wait for the time to release leopard pre-installed machine only when the tiger machines have been sold out.
    B. At the beginning, leopard pre-installed one will more expansive than tiger pre-installed one, at least more than $10.
  14. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a


    May 16, 2006
    I don't think Apple would change the price of the machines just because one OS is on it as opposed to the other (because if Tiger is installed, you're still getting Leopard, per se)... although I think your #1 is a possibility
  15. feyn-man macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2007
    I just want to buy a macbook this weekend. But lots of people said this is not a good time to buy that. I'm confused now.
    To buy, or not to buy........
  16. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2007
    i think the answer is don't buy now, wait till Jan.

    I've decided to do that now. £1700 is a lot to spend on a machine which in less than 3 months is going to be out of date. We all know there will be a performance increase at least of the mbp's in Jan and possibly a re-design of the casing to move away from the new mb's if they are too similar. I'd rather wait until then and have a machine that's at the top of its league for longer as in theory it should therefore last longer.

    Good things come to those who wait!!
  17. feyn-man macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2007
    um, I know that. But I really cannot wait any longer. No computer, no internet, no interesting things, I can only get internet at company.
  18. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2007
  19. Eallan macrumors 6502

    Sep 12, 2007
    I don't know about "Out of date" if it still functions for what you bought it for in the first place what did you really lose?

    It will do everything it does now the same in 3 months.

    I bought mine in september and didn't look back. Because once penryn is out it will "only" be another 6 or so months til the next minor upgrade.
  20. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a


    Jul 19, 2007
    When the last big Intel upgrade came around, did Apple immediately incorporate them into the Macbook Pros, or did they wait a few months? That might make a difference as to whether I want to buy now or wait. I might be able to wait until January, but I don't want to wait any longer.
  21. feyn-man macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2007
    I think everything of macbook now is not so bad, except the graphic card. Only 64MB, can you believe it?!!
  22. aljlin macrumors regular

    Sep 7, 2006
    The way i see it, even if you order now and have to pay the 10 dollars, well, you pay 10 dollars more for 2 different os's. if you want tiger and wait for leopard to settle down for bugs you can do that as well... :) It's still a winnning proposition. I know it's a mac, but there are usually bugs and stuff, so ... :) I hope for those of you who wanted it to be preinstalled that it will, but I'm trying to find the good side of it. hehe.

Share This Page