Still works as timekeeping device while unpaired?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GoSUV, Mar 11, 2015.

1. GoSUV macrumors member

The Apple Watch needs a qualifying iPhone to work. But, let's say if you are out of bluetooth range of your phone, for example if you are swimming and obviously you can't bring your iPhone with you (unless you also bring it and put it inside a waterproof bag, but cumbersome), will the Watch still function as a timekeeping device only? Obviously you'll lose the notifications or be unable to use Apple Pay for example, but what are the other things you can still use without a bluetooth connection to your phone? Other similar scenarios might be you are flying and your phone is in airplane mode, but you'd still like to see what time it is or be able to use the countdown timer so you know how much time is left for the flight.

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If you're swimming, the watch is going to get waterlogged and it will stop working. It won't matter if you brought your phone or not.

I expect the watch to work even without the phone for basic functions.

3. iPad Air macrumors regular

It will no doubt continue to give you current time when away from your iPhone. It has on-board storage for syncing a limited number of songs, photos, etc. to take advantage of while away from your iPhone as well. Not sure other than that.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Of course it'll tell time and you can manually activate the power reserve mode to make it last at least 72 hours while hiking in the mountain, etc.

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

apple pay will also still work as long as you do not take it off. I was hoping nothing at all but time would work once removed. I do not want stolen watches to be usable at all.

6. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Yes, but it's more likely to fry if you swim with it.

7. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will, at least until the battery dies. One the battery dies, you'll need to resync with your iPhone to get the correct time.

8. troop231 macrumors 603

Who cares if it drifts a few seconds off though? I've seen some people complain about this. :confused:

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can it not get the time over wifi using Time Network Protocol (as with computers, iPad, etc.)?

10. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I'm not overly familiar with NTP, but don't you need an active connection to use it? Apple Watch won't connect to wifi networks.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, you're right. It won't connect to wifi on its own.