Still worth purchasing Shake?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GoGoSamGo, Apr 9, 2007.

1. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

Now with this new software coming out sometime next year Shake won't be talked about much longer I don't believe. Personally I'm trying everything I can to become more talented in film. Getting into Digital Photography and possibly learning Shake were my next steps. So my question is, would it be worth learning shake now? For all I know when the next software comes out it's going to be around the same price of what Shake used to be which would be completely out of my range, unlike right now I could purchase Shake for $250 (educational discount). So any suggestions would be wonderful. Thank you!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that one. There will always be new software right around the corner. But since you're talking about video post production software I'd at least wait until NAB to see what's announced there.

-DH

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

The fear of that happening is why I bought Shake last year. I didn't really need it quite yet, but who knows what will be available at what price in the future.

Without a doubt, the current affordable version of Shake can help you learn a lot about the techniques used in compositing. A great learning tool if this is the field of work you are interested in! Sure, sooner or later it will be replaced by something more powerful, but what you learn with Shake (and believe me, the learning curve is steep!) should be very valuable even with future compositing software.

- Martin

4. heelie macrumors newbie

Depnds on what you are using it for.

But I completely agree with Martin's line of thinking.

5. anthony113 macrumors member

shake is a great learning tool and is still a very powerful compositing app, especially when paired with the new 8 core mac pro. it's definitely worth $250. there are also still a lot of visual effects studios using it.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I was in the same position that you are in now back in December 2006. Is it worth buying a dead product? In the case of Shake, the answer is a resounding yes. You will not get an opportunity to get such a powerful compositing program at such a cheap price. No doubt that when Phenomenon gets released it will be another program around $5000+ (If it isn't I will be amazed with Apple's software engineers. :eek: ).

Shake is a powerful and still a ver capable program. It is being eclipsed by the likes of Nuke, but the price difference is large enough to go with Shake anyway. As a student, you owe it to yourself to learn a node based compositing program like Shake because the vast majority of future programs will be based on this idea.

If you want to learn how to professionally composite, that $250 will be the best you ever spent. :cool:

P-Worm

7. GoGoSamGo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot guys I decided that I'm going to get it. Like everyone said it's still a very powerful system and for $250 I can't beat that. Thanks a lot for all your help.

8. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Plus they might do a sweet upgrade path to the new compositing app thats coming.We might actually be able save quite a bit on it....fingers crossed :)

9. ianbailey macrumors newbie

Wait and see!

As mentioned in Mac Rumors, Apple is making an announcement at NAB this coming Sunday. Although Final Cut Studio 6 might not be available straight away, checking out the bundled apps will no doubt make your decision easier.

It's probably still too early for Phenomenon to be released, but if Shake 4.1 becomes part of the Studio suite then an up-grade to FCS 6 might be an attractive option. Also if you qualify for a student discount, you might find that buying a full license is cheaper than the up-grade!

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Have you thought about getting After Effects instead ?

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

if u purchase the academic version you can't upgrade :mad:

12. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

No sources, but I have strong doubts there will be a reasonable upgrade price from Shake to Phenomenon. Why would Apple let you have an overall discount if you get the program early? A full purchase then an upgrade should be more than the full purchase of the next generation program.

P-Worm

13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Would they give him the upgrade from Shake to Phenomenon in education? I remember back then that students could not buy Shake at a student discount.

Wait for sunday and see what happens but Shake is a powerful program to learn.

14. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I would be shocked if there was ANY ugrade path between Shake and Phenomenon. They are different products and since Shake is so readily available I would guess that Phenomenon will be completely stand-alone (with no upgrades to get v1.0) or part of Final Cut Studio (much less likely).