Stilo Review: This Stylus and Screen Protector Duo Aims to Emulate the Feel of Writing on Paper

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

There are hundreds of different stylus options available for the iPhone and the iPad, but that hasn't stopped new company Stilo Co. from introducing a fresh take on the stylus. The battery-powered Stilo is a fine-tipped stylus designed to pair with a Precision Film to replicate the feel of writing on paper with a pen.

According to the company, the purpose behind the Stilo is to create a more "complete and organic" iPhone and iPad writing experience with a writing utensil that's universally compatible with existing sketching and drawing apps in the App Store. It also works with all different touchscreen devices, from the iPhone and iPad (including iPad Air 2) to Android devices.

[​IMG]

Stilo Co. invited us to go hands-on with the Stilo, so we took them up on their offer to see how the Stilo measures up to competing styluses and how well it mimics the pen-and-paper experience.

Design and Features

The main draw of the Stilo is its small 1.9mm tip, which allows for more accuracy when writing on a capacitive screen because you can see what you're doing. In comparison to a standard pen, it's thicker and heavier to accommodate the AAA battery that powers it.

It's thicker than a lot of other styluses I've used, and I'd say it compares most closely to a marker. It's not exactly uncomfortable to use, but it does get tiresome after long periods of time (upwards of a half hour), resulting in hand cramping and soreness. Some weight in a stylus is appropriate for a smooth pen-like writing experience, but the weight of the Stilo is not ideal - it feels too heavy with too much weight towards the bottom.

[​IMG]

The Stilo weighs 30 grams. In comparison, the Adonit Jot Script weighs 19 grams, a standard Sharpie weighs 8 grams, and a Bic pen weighs 4.6 grams. Thickness and weight preference for a writing utensil is going to vary by person. If you prefer weightier pens that are on the thicker side, the Stilo could be a good fit.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Stilo Review: This Stylus and Screen Protector Duo Aims to Emulate the Feel of Writing on Paper

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Use Lithium Ion cells, thinner, weight reduced and battery last longer.

3. CFreymarc Suspended

Defiantly a 1.0 release. Their goal is admirable but skeuomorphic haptic products have a very mixed response in the mass market. The most iconic is drive train and shifter feel of cars.

4. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I think anyone interested in a stylus has their eyes open for Apple's potential offering coming later this year (alongside the 'iPad Pro' and perhaps separately)

5. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

6. PJL500 macrumors 6502

Am interested in the Chinese knockoffs of both of these products.

7. PJL500 macrumors 6502

8. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

the real problem is the parralx caused by the glass on the iPad. No stylus can fix that.

9. 73b macrumors regular

73b

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Barometric pressure!

11. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

My guess is that because capacitive screens use the current from one's fingers to detect touch, and because fingertips are broad and cover a bit of the screen, the stylus needs extra juice when it comes into contact with such a small area.

12. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

I have to say, Microsoft did a great job with its Surface and its pen/stylus. It has become my go-to device when i need to sketch out something or take some serious notes.
    As much as I love the iPad, I haven't found any stylus and note-taking app that comes even closer to what I need.

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Or any other Wacom / nTrig-based solution. They're immensely better than any capacitive hack like this stylus.

14. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Ugh just let Apple do this next month! No one will ever perfect the stylus for iOS devices.

15. 0947347 Suspended

I have never seen a chinese knock off iPad. Where can you get them and how much are they?

16. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Hi, do you have to insert new battery everytime it dies? That seems annoying. Rechargeable battery would be nice.

17. gmcalpin macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

30 grams is pretty normal for fountain pens, though. I love heavy pens!

18. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

The fact that this is a weekend post and there are only 16 comments tells us that styli just aren't that important to people.