Stitching video files together?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thefunkymunky, May 7, 2010.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Hey,

I have some HD video (1280 x 720, AC3 5.1 DD Audio, H.264, MPG) that is in two separate parts (i.e. two files). I'd like to stitch/join the video files without re-encoding or anything. Just want to save as one complete new video file. What would be the best software to use? Would iMovie '09 work? :confused:

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

depends on the file format... care to give more details? it'll help!!

3. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

What more do you need to know? I've said it's HD video (1280 x 720, AC3 5.1 DD Audio, H.264, MPG). :confused:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So the file is an actual .mpg file with the suffix .mpg, as in video.mpg?

In other words, what is the SUFFIX, as an .mkv differs from an .mov or even an .mp4 container (format)?

5. WayneH1 macrumors member

Your problem will be the AC-3, if it really is 5.1. You may have to first convert it to AAC. I don't think there is any way to maintain 5.1 using iMovie. Quicktime has issues also - it cannot play 5.1 without downmixing to stereo. But it might be able to maintain the tracks after stitching two files together. It'll make a .mov file that might contain the .ac3 tracks as hoped. Soundtrack Pro won't open an ac3 file.

6. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes an actual MPEG file with the extension .mpg

I'm not bothered about whether it plays in QT or not. I just want to stitch the two .mpg files together to make one big .mpg file without re-encoding if possible. The movie will go on my ReadyNAS to stream to the PS3. VisualHub can stitch movies together but not without re-encoding I don't think.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you have QT Pro you could try Copy and Pasting the second clip onto the end of the first clip.

Lethal

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Using the "Append" function of MkvMerge you'll get the two halves combined into one. The final file will be in the Matroska (.mkv) format, but nothing will be re-encoded.