STM Bags Harbour Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Lindsford, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

2. App King macrumors member

I know they make pretty good iPad cases. You can see their reviews for their cases on amazon.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They're an Aussie company and make really nice kit. We got our Opera and I think the Harbour cases in today and the fit/finish is top shelf.

4. psychonaut, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012

psychonaut macrumors 6502a

If it helps I have my first look video up on this case and their other (the Opera). Once I get my iPhone 5 I will do full reviews on both.

5. Thrilledge macrumors regular

I have one of their Ipad bags. Good company. This case is interesting. But I think I'll wait and see some reviews to see how heavy it is

6. Lindsford, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012

Lindsford thread starter macrumors 6502a

That does help. Thanks for the video. How are these cases sliding in and out of your pocket? I don't use cases often but usually have on laying around for times I got on Hikes and more rugged stuff where it could potentially get damaged

7. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Not sure as of yet since I do not have my iPhone 5. After Friday I will know. It would seem however that sliding in and out of a pocket should not be too much of an issue.

8. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Sweet, thanks for the vid. I'd just ordered a Harbour off Amazon last night.

I'm a little concerned with that hinge looking kind of loose. My hope is once it's got a phone for the edges to snap over that it won't move around.

What was your take on the weights of the cases?

9. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I would not be concerned about the hinge, it's strong enough and it looks to work just like the Speck CandyShell Flip so it should be fine.

Weight wise I don't have a scale to weigh me but yes the Opera is lighter than the Harbour but neither is heavy IMO.

10. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

My Harbour and my iPhone 5 just arrived this morning. Case is good quality, and psychonaut is indeed correct regarding the hinge. It's quite solid once snapped on the phone.

The "hard shell" part of it doesn't feel all that dissimilar to the TPU, since it's soft-touch, but it's a bit stiffer. Case (in black and grey) doesn't show fingerprints very much--they show in oblique light, but they're not obnoxious.

I'd say it compares very favorably with my previous iPhone 4 case, the Incipio NGP. In fact, aside from the hinge and the inlay contrast design, it's very similar feeling once on the phone. The Harbour is stiffer, so perhaps a little more protective.

Qualitywise, I'd say pretty good. There were a couple of plastic burrs where the two materials meet, but they scraped away without issue.

Only dig on the case is that the contrast strip in the back isn't flush; it's raised a fraction of a millimeter. Since it's off-center, that means the phone doesn't quite sit flat on a tabletop. Because of how it angles, only one edge of the raised bit hits the table, and it's very near the center.

Upshot is the phone wobbles back and forth slightly depending on which side of the screen you're hitting. To most people, guessing this won't matter much. I'm OCD enough that it may end up mattering to me, and I may end up with a different case eventually.

But for a launch day case, and particularly since I bought it largely with Amazon credits I had sitting around, it's pretty good. I'm not sure it's $35 good, especially with the balance issue, but I'd say it's definitely $20-25 good. Soft recommendation now, solid recommendation with a sale/price drop.

11. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

So a few hours later, I'm a little less jazzed. The bottom right corner of the case appears to be ever-so-slightly thicker than the phone. This lets it move just a fraction forward and back. In practice, means I can feel the case shift/creak at that spot when holding it.

I ordered a few other promising cases to try out, detailed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15810025&postcount=36

As a Day 1 case, I'm still pretty happy with this, but think it'll go back to Amazon as soon as a replacement arrives.

12. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

13. Vanessa17 macrumors member

I bought an STM 'opera' case and I am thoroughly impressed by it. It seems to be durable, it doesn't cover the volume/ mute buttons and has that extra 'lip' protection over the face. It is quite fitted.

I paid AU$24.95 which I thought was fairly reasonable for the quality.