STM Evolution or Booq Mamba Shift?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by isf215, Jul 2, 2010.

1. isf215 macrumors newbie

So im getting a 13" macbook pro this summer and i've narrowed down my backpack choices to the STM Evolution and the Booq Mamba Shift.

STM Evolution: http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/laptop-backpacks/evolution-small-laptop-backpack/

Booq Mamba Shift: http://www.booqbags.com/All-Products/Mamba-laptop-bags/Mamba-shift-M-denim

Im in college and commuting so i need a bag that can carry a textbook or 2 and a notebook as well as the computer. I like the mamba shift because of the design and the inside but i kind of wished there was a waist or sternum strap to secure it to my body more. Also the price is a little steep. I dont really like the design of the Evolution as much. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews about them both. Mainly about not being big enough to hold a textbook and only good for small accessories.

I need some help, should i spend the extra money on the Booq or get the evolution? Other cool bag suggestions would help too. :)

Thanks in advance :apple:

2. dqpassat macrumors regular

Can't comment on the STM. But I have a couple of Booq products and the quality is excellent. I've had a Booq Mamba messenger bag for my 15" macbook pro and these have lots of pockets and dividers for your stuff.

I had a small tear in the strap after 6 months. I contacted Booq and without question (after sending pics) they sent me a brand-new replacement, no questions asked. Great customer service.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Had a bad experience with Booq, have had nothing but great luck with STM.

4. toffa813 macrumors regular

As for booq in general, I have a vyper sleeve that I haven't used a lot but I like it a lot so far.

The booq bag is bigger in size, but the difference is negligible it seems. IMO the booq bag looks kinda weird and definitely doesn't seem worth the $50. I need to start looking at bags for college too and if I had to go with either on a first impression, I'd go with the STM.

5. isf215 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the opinions it helps. And toffa813 if you wouldn't mind tell me what you get for a bag for college? just curious.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I just got the Shift M Denim from the Apple Store yesterday and it is perfect IMO. It is not too large, not too small, had dedicated pockets for an Apple wireless keyboard and iPad and the laptop compartment is nice and plush. In addition, all of the zippers are sealed with rubber to prevent water from getting in. Fully loaded it seems to distribute the weight very well and I originally thought I forgot to put my laptop in....(thats how light it felt).

One con: If you try and use a sleeve like the incase neoprene, its a tight fit with the MBP 15. In addition, the material they use to line the laptop compartment doesn't want to let go of the neoprene and you need to yank it out to retrieve your laptop. In the end I decided that the built in compartment has more then enough protection so I am going to return the incase sleeve and just let the laptop go naked when in the backpack.

Hope this helps....
    BC

8. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd go with a backpack that has a sleeve/pocket for laptops (e.g., something from victorinox or north face) and get an additional sleeve for my laptop. That's what I did with my blackbook: North Face Hot Shot SE & an incase sleeve. I just got a 15" mbp so I'm on the market for a sleeve for it (currently looking at the booq vyper, booq taipan, and be.ez sleeves) . If you want super protection, go with a tom bihn brain cell sleeve.