Stock 2011 SSD's - Reviews please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by electronique, Mar 11, 2011.

1. electronique macrumors 6502

Hi.

Just wanting some reports on the stock Apple SSD's with the 2011 MBP's

Ive got a 15" 2.2Ghz with a 128GB SSD on it way and just wanting to hear some first hand reports of how it performs.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Test results here. Moderate performer but the only current option with TRIM support.

3. electronique thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link... This will be my first SSD, and by looking at the results, I am more than happy.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It will still crush any mechanical hard drives (obviously). Is it going to be the fastest? No. But then again you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference in real world usage between this and the "latest and greatest". The big difference is always from mechanical to SSD.

5. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

i'll be buying soon and have also been wondering about the stock SSDs.

from reading, it seems some of the main pros and cons are: (spoken roughly, from a non-expert)

Pros:

only SSDs to have TRIM support on OS X (for now); (though, better SSDs have their own 'trash management' and don't necessarily need it!)

stability; i'm sure plenty of other SSDs run just fine, as so many use them, but apparently there are problems out there

convenience; no fuss!

cost; ... well, assuming you get a high end 15 or 17; in that case its only $100 more to get a 128GB SSD

Cons:

performance; relative performance is unremarkable. also, apparently, much faster SSDs are just around the corner!

life; other SSDs, like OWC(?), promise little to no performance degradation; i think this includes, if not is limited to, the 'trash collection' issue, so maybe TRIM, which is new to OSX?, will help the stock SSDs stay healthier longer;

... it should be noted that, as far as trash collection/performance degradation goes, one solution is to periodically wipe the drive and start fresh; you have to do this in a particular way, but it doesn't seem hard, just inconvenient.

... if i missed anything, or misspoke, im sure MR will rectify!

Aside from BareFeats, check out the AnandTech review. There's a section on SSDs and recommendations. It was enough for me to decide the stock SSD was probably for me. I want stability and was said above, even if its relatively slow, its still an SSD, which is FAST!
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge

g:):)d luck!

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

7. ovrkast macrumors newbie

You'll never go back to the traditional HDD...enjoy! :D

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree and this point is missed often in the forums. Even the most mediocre SSD will be a HUGE improvement from a platter HDD. Find a SSD from a reputable company (not OCZ) that has stable firmware and can get firmware updates on the Mac (not OWC) and go with it. I think everybody gets bogged down in synthetic benchmarks on websites. For normal usage I don't think you can tell the difference between the fastest SSD and the mid-pack speed SSDs.

9. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

If one backed up their data on an external HDD using Time Machine it would not be any problem to format the SSD and then retrieve the data from Time Machine. I'd call it slight inconvenience because (as I guess) it should be done once in a year or so depending on the system usage.

I am definite when I get a MBP it will have a SSD. I thing HDDs are already a thing of the past.

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I'm curious how the 2011 128GB SSD by Apple compares to this:

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=788&language=1

is it worth it to just get the Apple SSD for the $90 upgrade or buy the western digital for $210?

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I've heard very bad things about the siliconedge blue. If you're not getting Intel, OWC, Toshiba, Crucial, or OCZ, get the Apple OEM one. The others all seem to have issues.

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

What kind of issues?
    I had a few installed in MBPs and never ran into any issues. They were pretty exceptional drives for their price and often compared to ssds from apple from colleagues cto machines it booted faster and operated a lot more smoother.
    But that was in my experience...

13. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Why would you buy that Western Digital thingy? It's more expensive than Apple's BTO SSD and offers no tangible advantages (i. e. no SATA-III).

I'm currently rocking the 128 GB BTO SSD (90$ upgrade), and it's pretty great. It's my first SSD, so it was always going to be awesome, but still... I need more space though (currently running my iTunes library off an external drive), so a 256 GB SSD is in the cards.

14. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Lol what?

Western Digital makes great drives, and Apples are just rebranded from other companies and we all know the other drives apple uses aren necessarily the highest of quality.
    does the specs of the Apple drive state it can run at 6Gbps? even 2009/2010 drives seemed to run at 1.5Gbps even though they were 3Gbps