stock 7300 vs x1900?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Keebler, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

hi,

I'm being such a good boy with my research, but the decisions are killing me :)

Is the stock 7300 card in a mac pro that bad? I'm thinking it's still a pretty decent card? I don't use motion (yet...maybe in the far future). I transfer home videos, audio (lps,cassettes) and photograph work (but nothing RAW...all scanned in myself if that matters).

I was going to treat myself with the x1900 b/c i stuck with the stock cards in my G5 and G4, but given that it's a BTO order and might take a few weeks, added to the fact that i have a ton of transfers to get done, i may just wait.
    I can buy a mac pro today or tomorrow in store and be up and running might fast.

for what i'm doing, am i nuts?

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. UndertheRadar macrumors member

I'm wondering the same thing. I've read on the apple store website that the card gets mighty hot and tends lag, both visually and performance wise. I would like to upgrade as well in the near future to take advantage of FS2 but is it worth it or will there be newer cards any time soon.
    :confused:

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

You can get the ATI card in the store (but call ahead to check if the store has them). Same with extra RAM, HD, BT and WIFI. That's the beauty of the Mac Pro -- instant gratification!

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. ya..i'm seriously thinking of holding off..maybe get the next generation when it comes out. :) I need to finish projects quickly, more than anything.

the heating issue does bother me. the least thing i need is any performance hit. i need to capture a ton of tapes, edit and make dvds. the quicker i do that, the quicker i get paid and the quicker i pay off this mac :) wuhoo! :)

i'm buying today or tomorrow :)

Cheers,
    keebler