Stock android is incredible but a launcher is still a must for me

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, May 7, 2014.

1. mclld macrumors 68000

I just had a Nexus 5 a few days and sold it here tonight but the inability to remove the search bar, remove home screens and adjust icon size/grid was not cool. What other things do you want to see in stock Android?

2. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Nothing. Since I installed the GNL I have not felt the need for anything else. I find the interface intuitive as well as a aesthetically well designed.

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Don't need it in stock Android. You have the option to use it or not. Some people like the stock launcher as is, why would you want to take that option away. If you don't like it, change it. Nothing stopping you. I am never for taking options away from people and it is my main gripe with iOS.

4. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

I dont think adding more options in the stock experience is taking anything away

5. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. This is why I always use Nova launcher. Personally, for me downloading a 3rd party launcher is so easy that I don't consider this a real negative. But yes the persistent search bar annoyed me when it first debuted in ice cream sandwich and my feelings for it haven't improved since.

6. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

TIL some people think that allowing people to choose things constitutes "taking options away" to some people. :rolleyes:

7. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I would recommend google now launcher if you are on stock android and I'm surprised it isn't the default.

Nova etc is still fine on stock, I'm moreso saying I'm surprised GNL isn't the default.

8. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

GNL will be on all GE and Nexus devices as stock.

The 'stock' launcher is open source and doesn't require a license. Kind of like the stock email client (which is not the same as Google Mail). This allows for OEM's or software developers like OnePlus and Cyanogenmod to use Android and not pay Google for licensing, but still have Android on their phone.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They need a few things on stock Android. 1) ability to remove home screens for those Google devices that don't get GEL out of the Box like the S4 GPE
    2) the ability to select a different home and lock screen wallpaper.
    3) with Google now on and GEL, the ability to remove the search bar on the other home screens

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

When my wife got her Moto G the first thing she wanted was rid of the search bar. I'm glad that Nova Launcher exists it that very reason! :D

Despite her hate for it, I'm one of the people that turn the persistent search on when I'm using Nova but I haven't used that since the release of the Google Now Launcher.

11. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Stock android is incredible but a launcher is still a must for me

Stock Android is just too barebones for me. That's why I haven't used it in over a year. I take that back, I did use my Nexus 7 late last year but that's about it.