Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.dub

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Anyone know what the latency for stock Apple RAM would be in the new Unibody MacBook (or MBP)?

I am planning to upgrade to 4gb and found some OCZ RAM for a great price at TigerDirect.ca. It is listed at 8-8-8-27 for latency.

I read somewhere that the Apple RAM is 7-7-7-20 but I cannot find that article so I could be wrong...

If anyone knows, or know how I could find out, I would appreciate it.

intel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Anyone know what the latency for stock Apple RAM would be in the new Unibody MacBook (or MBP)?

I am planning to upgrade to 4gb and found some OCZ RAM for a great price at TigerDirect.ca. It is listed at 8-8-8-27 for latency.

I read somewhere that the Apple RAM is 7-7-7-20 but I cannot find that article so I could be wrong...

If anyone knows, or know how I could find out, I would appreciate it.

take it as apple ram goes warp speeed and u should be fine.
just get another apple ram stick.

c.dub

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Buy Apple RAM?

4gb kit from Apple store (Canada) = $240.

4gb kit OCZ from TigerDirect.ca = $90.

Need I say more?

I have heard good things from OWC but they are based in the states, and being from Canada I would just prefer a Canadian retailer.

So back on topic...

I just want to know if anyone can tell me the specs of Apple's RAM. I believe it is CAS 5, but as for latency I do not know.

I know in most cases it is not noticable but it would seem kinda silly upgrading my RAM to something with a higher latency...

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
7-7-7-20 is the normal setting for 1066Mhz DDR3. I'd avoid anything else. Higher latencies are slower, and lower ones tend to have all sort of headaches, especially in a machine like the MBP where the RAM voltage isn't user-configurable.

c.dub

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Thank you J the Ninja!

This is what I was worried about. OCZ has Mac memory which is rated at 7-7-7-20 but it costs $30 extra per 2gb stick, so the kit will be around $145 for a 4gb kit. Kinda pricey, might look for some Crucial instead.

c.dub

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
So I ordered myself a 4gb kit of Crucial RAM.

Latency is 7-7-7-20.. bang on ;)

Cost was about $110 (Canadian).

Also ordered a WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm 320gb HDD!

Got a wicked price on the HDD only $85!!!

NCIX.com for the win!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.