Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Any insight here around which is better? Stock is definitely faster but not as fast as Camera + but curious if any other differences that folks have noticed. Fire away.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
With camera + you can edit your pics much more than the native app.

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee
I'm talking about differences between the quality of the photo from either one.

to me like i said the native one for pictures and camera+ only for editing. i take no pictures with camera+. so for me the native camera is better at taking pictures and camera+ has all the edits to make a great picture even better.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
I've seen reports that you don't get the same low light quality features outside of the native camera app.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I've seen reports that you don't get the same low light quality features outside of the native camera app.

Yes, right now the stock app goes to a much higher ISO than the 3rd party cameras can.

It is possible for the other apps to add this, but they just learned about it this week so it'll take another update.

So for today the stock app is the only camera that does awesomely in the dark, but probably the rest will follow soon.

climber20

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Both currently have inaccurate framing, so other than for quick snapshots, both the native app and the latest version of Camera+ are useless.

I had an older version of camera+ on my computer, so I installed that one which doesn't have the framing issue. I hope Apple addresses this soon, as it's a very basic thing that they got completely wrong.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://lifeinlofi.com/2012/09/23/the-iphone-5-an-iphoneographers-hands-on-review/

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I see that Camera+ came out with an update recently. I like the app but there is no replacing how quickly you can get to photos from the stock app. Any other feedback here?

archwizard

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
The latest update to Camera+ brings high ISO (or low light sensitivity, just like the stock Camera), one of the first 3rd party apps to do that.

If you select its Lightbox as the workflow choice, you can get to that area fast from within the app, just like the Apple Camera.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I've used both.
Scout camera is a bit less complex (not that Camera+ requires a strong brain trust to operate...) and it is easier to locate the filters/effects I quickly want to seek and use.

I also like the interface a bit more- visually it is polished and is more enjoyable to use.

Both are extremely competent apps, and as both are unnecessary to have loaded on my iPhone at the same time, have replaced Camera+ with Scout.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I've used both.
Scout camera is a bit less complex (not that Camera+ requires a strong brain trust to operate...) and it is easier to locate the filters/effects I quickly want to seek and use.

I also like the interface a bit more- visually it is polished and is more enjoyable to use.

Both are extremely competent apps, and as both are unnecessary to have loaded on my iPhone at the same time, have replaced Camera+ with Scout.

Do you know if it's been updated to take advantage of the iPhone 5's low light features?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I bought and already found two things that I think make it inferior to Camera+.

1. It's slower (slower even than the stock app) to actually take a picture.

2. You can't apply filters to a pic AFTER you take it.

Unless, I'm missing something I'm sticking with Camera+ or stock. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.