iPad Stock in NYC on Sunday evening?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lammers, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Lammers macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm travelling from London to New York this coming Sunday. Given the price difference, I'm thinking of buying an iPad Air in New York.

From past experience of iPad launches, can anyone comment on the likelihood of stores in NYC still having stock Sunday evening? I'd probably be after 64 or 128GB Cellular, Space Grey.

Thanks!
    Lammers

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There will be 3 16gb wifi and 4 64gb grey 4g.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sorry, I just heard my Uncle Jim will be buying a 64gb instead of the 32g he told me yesterday.

New Inventory as of 4:40 on Sunday.

3 - 16gb
    1 - 32gb
    3 - 64gb

Really?

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

With a launch in 40 countries, I think there will be adequate stock for your purchase. Good luck.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Not a clue. No one does. Get there early and wait it out and hope for the best.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

As long as you purchase on sunday you should be fine.

7. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

OP....people on these forums can be...rude. So you have to ignore those types of post. Maybe you could have your answer if you had searched a bit, but who cares? A free for all online forum is made to post...if they don't like it they could choose to ignore the post.

Anyway, I think you should be fine. The stock is said to be plentiful. If you are worried order the ipad air as an in store pickup at your store of choice in NYC. I believe you get x amount of days to come get it. This should work, assuming apple will let you, from another country, reserve one in NYC.

8. nostresshere, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

nostresshere macrumors 68030

Rude - maybe, probably....

But, unless someone knows the answers to these questions, it is very hard to give any kind of decent answer:

1 - What will inventory be of 64/128 gb units for the weekend
    2 - How many people will be coming in to buy them
    3 - Where in NYC this person will be - really big city

There are some big variances, mostly in unknown supply, and unknown demand.

Anyone that can say - NO WAY or NO PROBLEM can not have a clue.

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

True.

Its all speculation.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

We were talking to an apple store salesperson before the iPhone 5s launch, and his thought was that the weekend after a Friday product launch was the worst time to try to pick up a product. Initial supply has sold out, and new shipments have yet to come in. That said, problem with trying to predict iPad Air availability on Sunday after launch is that no one knows whether the initial supply will sell out. Not even Tim Cook can tell you this, I'm afraid.

11. Bokes macrumors 6502

try ordering from the online Apple store and select in store pick-up. Select a NYC store location and they'll have it waiting for you.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I wasn't being rude. Iw as being serious. They said there would be plenty this go around and last time they never actually ran out of regular iPads during the iPad 3 days.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

But, ask enough times on this forum and you will get answers. Crazy, eh?

14. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I wasn't aiming the comment towards you. Sorry for the confusion.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's true that iPad 3 didn't run out. But that doesn't help us predict the demand levels for the iPad Air. For instance, in my family, I was planning on getting the Air and passing my iPad 3 to my mom. When my mom heard how light the Air was, she decided she was going to get one herself instead of making do with my hand me down 3. Now Apple has two sales instead of just one. So if Tim Cook was expecting the same level of demand as for the 3, and the demand increases because of people like my mom, well... Yes, they could run out.

16. Lammers thread starter macrumors newbie

To those that provided a useful response, thank you.

To the rest, go back and re-read my question, and temper the attitude. I did not ask an unreasonable question. I did not ask how many units will be left. I did not ask anyone to look into a crystal ball. And whilst it is obviously true that nobody knows for sure whether stock will be left on Sunday, it is clearly reasonable to use history as an *indicator* of the future, hence my inclusion of "from past experience" and "likelihood". This will be the sixth iPad launch, and if it were the case that on all or most of the five previous launches stock sold out within the first couple of days and wasn't replenished then it's reasonable to assume the same may be true this time. Likewise, if, after all or most of the previous launches, stock was left a few days after launch, again it's reasonable to assume the same may be true this time. I hope that isn't too hard to understand.

17. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Try going to Target, Walmart, and Best Buys before the Apple Store in NYC. Way less people. Nobody knows what the stock or turnout will be though.

18. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

For OP: Also, I think one of the NYC stores is open all night. Be careful of your personal security if doing a late night deal.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That'll be the one on Fifth Ave. And that area couldn't be safer. Big hotels nearby with security guards out front at all hours, horse carriages standing around to pick up tourists. People always walking around. There's a reason why that store can be open 24 hours, because people do feel safe going there at 4am and walking out with an iMac.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, well here's a brief history of iPad launches in NYC.

iPad 1. Sold out everywhere for 2-3 weeks.

iPad 2. Even worse.

iPad 3. Some availability but popular sizes sold out for about a week.

iPad 4. Easy to get. Under most people's radar.

iPad Mini. Sold out everywhere for 2-4 weeks.

Can you predict anything based on that?

When there's a major change in design or a major upgrade, New York is wiped out. This year, Tim Cook says there will be plenty to go around. But it's a major design change. Lots of people are either switching back to the Air from the Mini, or buying one to play with and decide whether to keep, or on the fence.

This means no one really knows how it will play out in NYC, which is unlike many other markets. We love iPads HARD. Die hard buyers can zip between all the places selling them in a matter of minutes. With a few text messages, someone's entire friend base can descend on a place that has them in stock. Twitter has made it even more cutthroat.

Have a friend go online at 3am and reserve one for you for pickup. It's the only way to be sure you will get one.

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Yeah true but if Walmart is reporting they got 500 of them then he is probably right. People need to get in line now to ensure they can walk away with one on day one.

22. Bokes, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Bokes macrumors 6502

That's all anyone needs to do.
    But Apple is not officially confirming this PU option.
    At least not when i called.
    They told me to place the order and if in store pu is available in your location then you can select it.
    One would assume that shortly after midnight- the Apple store in NYC west side will be well stock and should offer in store PU...but who knows.
    Maybe they will want to cater to the sheep outside the doors.
    That will be one angry mob if most of the inventory is being held for PU.

side note- A few days after the iPad 3 I was in the Apple store and some woman was returning about 12 new in box iPads. She no doubt loaded up- tried to sell on CL and discovered there was no demand since store inventory was stocked.
    So yeah- there are those crooks out there.

GL