Stock Levels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matt_c, Apr 20, 2018.

1. matt_c macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new computer; I was hoping to be bale to pick one up in store today but it seems if you try anything except a base configuration for any computer (mini, pro, all MacBook types) they are not available for at least a week and sometimes 2 (for in store pickup or for shipping). I tried searching for pickup locations all over the country and get the same results.

Anyone have any ideas why? Is this possibly just a glitch that will be resolved?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It has always been like that for custom order Macs. Anything but a standard configuration has to be custom made and sent to you or the store.

The only exception is I have seen some "maxed out" MacBook Pros are stocked by some stores.

3. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

It's no glitch, it's normal Apple policy.

When you order a Mac other than the normal stocked machines, it has to be customized by Apple and then shipped either to you or to a local Apple Store for personal pickup. Certain Apple Stores do keep a wider variety of configurations on hand but those stores are usually located in very large market areas such as New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.

When I purchased my new iMac it had to be shipped to me direct from Apple since I did not want the stock machine they offered in my local Apple Store.

4. dhershberger, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

dhershberger macrumors newbie

I read in these forums once that the stores often carry a maxed-out version of the computers, even though they don't show as in stock. So last year when I purchased my maxed-out 13" MBP w/ Touch Bar I simply stopped into a store, asked for what I wanted, and they had it in stock. They may carry configurations other than base and max. I recommend that you stop in and ask if the store is not too far away.

5. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

Apple stores don't typically stock all configurations - normally just the most popular builds (cheapest and some sort of mid level config)

The only two stores I know of that stock practically EVERY possible Apple configuration are B&H and Adorama - which you can order and have it ship the next day (much faster than ordering from Apple themselves for some reason)