Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
So the US kind of sucks with the stock market. We can't do After Hours trading like other countries can, so if the market is crashing we are screwed. Not to mention the media can tape Jobs walking akwardly out of the cancer place and the stock drops more than 20$. Kind of like insider trading in a way.

Anyways I am writing to see what people think about the market constantly dropping because of these 3rd world countries fighting over leadership. Thoughts? Anyone lost money if you own Apple stock because of this mess or any other stocks?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So the US kind of sucks with the stock market. We can't do After Hours trading like other countries can, so if the market is crashing we are screwed. Not to mention the media can tape Jobs walking akwardly out of the cancer place and the stock drops more than 20$. Kind of like insider trading in a way.

Anyways I am writing to see what people think about the market constantly dropping because of these 3rd world countries fighting over leadership. Thoughts? Anyone lost money if you own Apple stock because of this mess or any other stocks?

tell you the truth a closing the market is a good thing to prevent crashing. Otherwise it would drop even faster than it does. Market already has rules in place if a stock is dropping to quickly it is shut down and closed for the remainder of the day to protect it from getting out hand and fear taking over.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
tell you the truth a closing the market is a good thing to prevent crashing. Otherwise it would drop even faster than it does. Market already has rules in place if a stock is dropping to quickly it is shut down and closed for the remainder of the day to protect it from getting out hand and fear taking over.

Only downside is though if it's not a dramatic drop they close as normally and other countries can keep bringing it down. It close friday at $353 and opened Monday at $341. To me this can hurt a lot of people if they wanted to sell at a certain point, or buy at a certain point.

Phayz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Bear in mind that markets operate on speculation as well - Jobs in good health, positive expected growth and speculation on future innovations and sales drives share prices.

Thus when one of these factors changes so does the expected projections (although this may not occur). If the stock market is wrong it will re-adjust again.

Personally, I'm glad many countries don't do after-hours trading. Remember, traders should have a life too! :)

Last edited:

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Bear in mind...

bearinmind.png

Sorry I couldn't help it.

I have been watching the price of Apple stocks and they are down $20 from last week when I almost bought a single share. Glad I didn't though. If I get this job today or tomorrow I think I will buy one or two shares while it's sagging.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Good time to buy in my book. Apple stock in particular, especially because of all the release events in the pipe line this year.

This.

Except Apple stock seems like a terrible time to buy, with Steve Jobs' current health issues.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Best time to buy shares of Apple would be when Jobs peg's it, no doubt when he's brown bread the value of the company will take a massive hit as Apple has been, publicly, very reluctant to divulge a succession plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.