Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blaker13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
So, it seems pretty easy to jailbreak... what are peoples view on this. Seems you can custumize your iphone allot more with jailbreaking it, different backgrounds,free apps, ringtones, applications running in the background... is there any downfall to this? I would like to hear from experianced users if they indeed Jbreak there phones simplily to add more to it, more user friendly? and if not why? is there problems? Iclarified seems to hold strong and say its well worth it? Any answers would help, thanks.

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Yeah, there are lots of complications that can arise with the jailbreaking of your iPhone.
Not only are there problems, but I think it's illegal by Apple's request.

blaker13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
hmm...

Yea i hear all this stuff... all this complications, but if you actually talk to someone who has done it, they make it really easy and drama free these days. I mean, illegal sure, but them not giving us MMS when they promised it should be illegal...:)

Oh yea, that was ATT not apple, sorry.

Cap41

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Jailbreak for full potential, I would not have upgraded to the 3Gs if it could not be jailbroken...No down fall..

blaker13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
ok...

Can you explain whatcha mean by full potential so i can get an idea of what it is?...thanks.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Really dude, were the 50 other "Should I Jailbreak?" threads not doing it for you?

Its pretty simple, jailbreak and if you don't like it just restore.

blaker13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
sorry...

Obviously didnt look in the hack section, my bad you can remove.

kimchi73

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Recently jailbroken my wife's 3GS and I have 3g jb. 3GS + Jailbreak = best phone ever. Only using apps. SBsettings, madvlock and category. Oh, tethering..

3GS run very very well jailbroken compare to 3g. I will never go back!!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't jailbreak because the iPhone already does almost all of what I want it to. And I don't have to worry about Apple updates screwing it up.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I would only jailbreak if you want to be able to customize the UI, install hacks like cycorder/MMS; basically do stuff that Apple/AT&T don't want you to do like tethering. Also, if you do jailbreak and iPhone OS updates come, you have to re-jailbreak all over again.

blaker13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Ok

So if i jailbreak it, then 3.1 update comes out, how would i go about that? Do i have to restore my iphone first? do i not do the update? do i wait until someone hacks the 3.1? im curious?...Like isint a jailbreak mean it puts a whole new os on the phone? or just it just add stuff to the apple os?

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Simple.

If you know what you're doing, jailbreaking is not an issue or a problem, and it benefits you to the fullest. You can customize your iPhone the way you want it.

If you want to jailbreak, but don't know how to, you can read up on a few tutorials or videos and it should teach you everything you need to do. If you're hesitant on a step, don't just proceed with the process. Stop, figure it out, and then actually tinker with your iPhone.

If you just blaze through the jailbreaking process with no idea how to do it, chances are, you're gonna mess up your iPhone, come back to Mac Rumors, complain about how bad of a job you've done, and have to restore your iPhone via DFU mode.

Coraline

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Ottawa
Jailbreaking my iPhone was incredibly easy. It took less than ten minutes and I had no issues doing it whatsoever (and I am not a very technical person!) I thought for sure I had missed a step because it seemed TOO simple, but everything works perfectly. It is still just as fast, does everything it always did and MORE. The thing is, if you do it and it isn't for you, it's not a hassle to restore and go back to your original settings. No big deal. It's not as if jailbreaking is permanent.

If/when Apple does an update, just wait until there is a Jailbreak for it before you update. Yes, you will have to JB again but honestly, it's not a hard or lengthy process. The customization alone is worth it! To me, anyway. :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I jailbroke my 1G right before I got my 3GS just to see what was up... about 2 hours later I restored it.

Granted I didn't give it a ton of time, but jailbreaking for me was kind of like using a Windows box. More maintenance than I cared to deal with.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So if i jailbreak it, then 3.1 update comes out, how would i go about that? Do i have to restore my iphone first? do i not do the update? do i wait until someone hacks the 3.1? im curious?...Like isint a jailbreak mean it puts a whole new os on the phone? or just it just add stuff to the apple os?

Well, if you're sensible you will wait and see what the jb/unlock folks say.

It usually doesn't take too long for the new jailbreaks to come out but just updating may plug whichever hole they plan on using to crack the phone. That's what happened with 2.2 > 2.21, the people who stayed at 2.2 were able to jb/unlock their phones way sooner than those that upgraded right away.

techbuoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Something fundamentally bugs me about purchasing a device and then not being able to do whatever the hell I want with it. So, I have jailbroken every OS version I have installed on my iPhones and iPods. There are little tweaks and hacks I enjoy but in reality there is 0 need for the average user to jailbreak their iPhone. They wouldn't know or care to understand what they were missing otherwise. IMO if have to ask in the first place, don't bother.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
I JB'ed my 2G after having it for 12 months, and although i enjoyed having the freedom to customize it however i liked, i found it to be far to much hassle for such small amount of benefits, so now i have my 3Gs i'll never let it anywhere near any JB software

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
As much as I loved SBSettings I restored to stock. Why? Because that's all I really used and the stock firmware does pretty much what I want it to do as someone else already said. Plus I don't want to get a lot of other stuff on there so my apps don't lag. :D

blaker13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
hmm...

Is there one better than the other? I hear puplerain is better than redsnow because you dont have to restore, any thoughts on wich one to use for a better performance or what have you?...

And to techbuoy: sorry im not a genious and want to be carefull about my phone, im just asking for a little help, and advice on a topic. I have always used windows phones and hacked the crap out of them, but... i dont have a clue about the iphone and it was much more expensive.

jamesraward

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
So, it seems pretty easy to jailbreak...
Certainly is, I did my 3GS this morning just before going to work
what are peoples view on this. Seems you can custumize your iphone allot more with jailbreaking it, different backgrounds,free apps, ringtones, applications running in the background...
You can, though I did it for the SMS sounds (had the same one for 6 years, not about to change that, change is bad) I'm not using the background apps as I don't need to, but there are a load of free things out there, as well as top quality paid-for apps, which should show Apple that they're missing a trick here.
is there any downfall to this?
there is a SLIM chance you can brick your phone, very slim, but anything that goes wrong can almost always be fixed with a restore using iTunes, and in drastic cases, a 'hard' restore.
I would like to hear from experianced users if they indeed Jbreak there phones simplily to add more to it, more user friendly?
Most people do it to add a little more functionality, the iPhone is great, but there's a couple things that most people aren't 100% happy with, like I said, I did it for the tones and the SBsettings, 5 icon dock and pdanet (though not actually used that yet, it's for work emergencies as I don't want to pay £15 a month for something I'd intermittently use - tethering)
and if not why?
most people are either happy with what they're got, or don't want to risk it, like I said, there's not a great deal of risk, but considering the investment (24 month contract/£500) it's not negligible.
is there problems?
again, sometimes, but rarely, be careful, follow tutorials, know that there IS a risk and that it won't be covered in apple's warranty (if you've got external phone insurance then it's not so much of a problem, just make sure you don't use the custom graphics else it's pretty easy to tell)
Iclarified seems to hold strong and say its well worth it? Any answers would help, thanks.
I'm not sure what this means...

hope this helps!

edit:
Is there one better than the other? I hear puplerain is better than redsnow
I used purplera1n so can't comment on redsn0w, and it was worryingly easy with PR and done in a matter of 5 minutes (took one hell of a lot longer with my C905 when I was using the A2 uploader to remove the Voda fw, so this was a ncie surprise!).

One problem I did have was with the CyDelete program and it hanged after installing, but that's the only hiccup I've had so far.

What model iPhone do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.