Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Negative reactions to Apple's Q1 2014 earnings report extended overseas to Japanese component manufacturers, says Reuters. Suppliers such as Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Sharp and Nitto Denko saw their stock prices fall by as much as 3.9 percent following the release of Apple's quarterly financial results.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg

Stock prices of these Japanese suppliers are expected to rebound because of their broad client base, but Japanese analysts believe Apple will remain stagnant.
"The company is unlikely to expect profit growth from now on as the iPhone market has been saturated," a fund manager at a Japanese asset management firm said. "In order to sell in China and emerging countries, the company needs to cut prices more aggressively, so there is also pressure on parts makers."
Despite these negative global projections, demand for Apple products in Japan remains strong. During Apple's earning conference call, Tim Cook said iPhone sales rose 40% in Japan, due to a new distribution deal with the country's largest mobile operator NTT Docomo.

Article Link: Stock Prices of Japanese Suppliers Slip in Response to Apple's Earnings

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Stock prices of these Japanese suppliers are expected to rebound because of their broad client base, but Japanese analysts believe Apple will remain stagnant.
Sales aren't stagnant, profits are. „Apple sold a record 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million in the same time period last year.“ That's a 6.7% growth for an S-model iPhone. Slowing growth, but not market saturation.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
The entire NIKKEI 225 was down 5% until this morning (recovered over 2%). That started Friday, I seriously doubt apple is dragging the exchange down.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
And Samsung's profit and margins? Expectations on Apple are over the top, but they have made history. Incremental changes won't improve profits. Next new thing will

People need to stop worrying about what Samsung does. If Samsung falls off the face of the earth another Android OEM will take its place. If Apple falls off that’s it; game over. People act as Android is a one trick pony.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Hmm I never knew Taiyo Yuden made things besides recordable disc media...

Me either!

I've used Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for years... which are now being sold under the JVC brand name after Taiyo Yuden acquired JVC's media division.

I've never had a problem with TY media... and I burn about 500 discs every year!

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
The entire NIKKEI 225 was down 5% until this morning (recovered over 2%). That started Friday, I seriously doubt apple is dragging the exchange down.

I can't believe the line being pushed here, either. Apple beat their own guidance and didn't exceed their guidance by more ( "missed expectations" whateverthehell that means ) because it was unable to manufacture enough to meet demand.

If ANYTHING, this should mean higher orders for component suppliers to meet the higher demand!

So the reason GIVEN for these companies being punished by the markets, is clearly NOT THE TRUTH.

The main reason Wall St Journal has been publishing false negative articles and the Wall St market decimated Apple's stock price, has been because Wall St wants more of Apple's cash returned to shareholders.

There's a story being SOLD here, and it appears to be more of the same - markets (and their news outlets) will punish Apple and now its partners, if Apple doesn't return more money to shareholders.

The rest is smoke and mirrors, and as phinsup noted, the actual stock price moves are probably more related to the market as a whole, and not even suppliers actually being devalued at all!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Sales aren't stagnant, profits are. „Apple sold a record 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million in the same time period last year.“ That's a 6.7% growth for an S-model iPhone. Slowing growth, but not market saturation.

Unless the article was updated after you made your post, what you're implying is not what the article says. It wasn't about sales at all. It was about profit.

from article:
Quote:
"The company is unlikely to expect profit growth from now on as the iPhone market has been saturated," a fund manager at a Japanese asset management firm said..."

Stagnant profits, not sales.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Unless the article was updated after you made your post, what you're implying is not what the article says. It wasn't about sales at all. It was about profit.
„The Company sold 51 million iPhones, an all-time quarterly record, compared to 47.8 million in the year-ago quarter.“

Suppliers shouldn't care about how much profit Apple makes, because they get paid on a per device basis. From a suppliers perspective, Apples quarter wasn't stagnant. They sold 3.2 million more phones than last year.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
„The Company sold 51 million iPhones, an all-time quarterly record, compared to 47.8 million in the year-ago quarter.“

Suppliers shouldn't care about how much profit Apple makes, because they get paid on a per device basis. From a suppliers perspective, Apples quarter wasn't stagnant. They sold 3.2 million more phones than last year.

I'm sorry. You are still forwarding a narrative unrelated to the topic of the article. The article is about the stock prices of the suppliers. Apple selling 51 million phones has nothing to do with anything. The suppliers stock prices slipped because Apple's profit has been flat. This is about how the flat profit of Apple has affected the stock prices of other companies. Not phone sales, not component sales, just a story about stock prices.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Welcome to the world of incomplete reporting:D.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
The suppliers stock prices slipped because Apple's profit has been flat. This is about how the flat profit of Apple has affected the stock prices of other companies.
That is just what some clueless analyst is alleging. Meanwhile in reality supplier success is tied to unit sales not profits.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
That is just what some clueless analyst is alleging. Meanwhile in reality supplier success is tied to unit sales not profits.

Okay you win. Your point, totally unrelated to the article, is absolutely correct. Supplier success is tied to their sales. I bow to your unrelenting logic. You have forwarded your narrative. Re-iterated it when I was searching for discourse regarding the actual topic. I do admire your ability to completely ignore subject matter that doesn't support your assertions.

Thank you sincerely for your take on the stock price slippage. It was informative.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.