Stock Reminder App is Useless for Tasks with Deadlines...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by boba7523, Oct 4, 2014.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

I tried using the Reminders app on my iPhone 6+, and it was completely useless.

Basically, I set up a reminder to remind me of my hair appointment at 10:00am as that's my appt. time. So in the Reminders app, I set it to remind me at 10:00am.

2 things I'd like it to do:

1.) Could I have it remind me an hour before, 2 hours before, etc?

2.) Could I have it appear on my "Tomorrow List?" On my Notifications, it doesn't appear until it's already 10am......... Which is kind of pointless in my case...

How do we properly use Reminders app?

2. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

1) If your appointment is 10am and you would like it to remind you 2 hours before, set it to remind you at 8am.

2) It will appear in reminders in the Notification Center on the day that the reminder is set for. For example, if you have it set to remind you on August 8, then it will show up in the notification center under reminders on August 8. If you want it to show up under Tomorrow in the Notification Center, I think you have to set it as an event under the Calendar app rather than as a reminder.

3. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. I guess Reminders is limited to adding tasks that are not time critical............. It was like this since ios 6 and was hoping ios 8 would be different, guess not.

4. bgro macrumors 65816

Download agenda+ and set up the widget. It will show your next day reminders in the notification center.

5. Mo42 macrumors newbie

Why can't you use the calendar app instead? I set up appointments in calendar, and then set 1st and 2nd alert times. So if your appointment was at 10am, I would make an entry for 10am, then set alert for 2 hours earlier. There are many times that I set the alert for day before (so I can remember to do things for it the night before) then another alert for 1-2 hours before, both done under the same event.

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Instead u can use the calander app .. It dies the stufF u need Like 2 hrs before gives u a notification ... And shows you in tommorow

7. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

This seems an odd use of Reminders. Reminders are generally things you should do at a particular time, but don't necessarily have to. If it's a thing that happens at a fixed time, that's an event, not a task. I might set myself a Reminder to book a hair appointment at 9:00 AM, and once I've actually booked it and have a date and time, I mark the Reminder as completed and set a calendar event for the actual appointment. Calendar events can do all the things you want to do with reminders.

The default Calendar app separates them, but there are many third-party apps that will show reminders and calendar events together by date, if you prefer this workflow. I use Fantastical to do this myself, but there are lots of others available.

8. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

They won't make reminders the end all be all todo list app because then you won't spend money on the App Store for a better one and Apple won't make its 30%.

But they could at least let other ToDo apps use Siri.

9. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Good call on using the calendar app, didn't think about that.

Btw, i noticed Apple took out To Do section of the Reminders app or something? I recently got back to iOS so kinda forgot the name... It was like iOS 5 or 6 where the Reminders app also had a To Do section.

Guess Apple found it to be useless, eh?

10. Rigby macrumors 601

Not sure what you are asking here. The reminders can be used as To Do items. You mark them as completed using the radio button next to the item. You can also create as many different reminder/to do lists as you want. While some of the 3rd party apps have more bells and whistles, I don't find the stock app to be particularly lacking. The location-based reminders and Siri integration are brilliant.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

This is what I do with homework assignments. Reminds me a week before, a day before, and an hour before the deadline.

I use reminders to remind me to run errands, make calls, etc.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesnt quite always show up until pretty much the time of the reminder.

13. Alrescha macrumors 68020

My calendar reminders generally show up when I ask them to (days, hours, minutes ahead of time). I would be in deep doodoo if they did not. :)

A.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Calendar ones are somewhat different.

15. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Oops, my bad. You were farther back in the thread than I anticipated. Sorry.

A.

16. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

I usually use the Reminder app to remind me of things that have to be done that day, but not at a particular time. I use Calendar app to let me know of things that have to done at a particular time.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

No I'm through the thread, just commenting that reminders work one way some of the time but not always. And using the calendar in place of reminders doesn't really address the reminders working properly all the time.