Stock SSD + Vertex 3 in RAID 0?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ElCidRo, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ElCidRo macrumors regular

I don't have any experience with SSD drives so PLEASE be patient with me! :D

I want to buy the new 15 inch MBP (the high-end version) with the 128 GB SSD upgrade and wait for the OCZ Vertex 3 to be released. Buy an optibay, put the Vertex 3 on the SATA III 6GB/s, the stock SSD in the optibay on the SATA III 3 GB/s in RAID 0.
    Is it worth the risk of data loss for the speed gained compared to just using a Vertex 3 on the SATA III 6 GB/s?

If the speed is not noticeable in real world scenarios (I work in photoshop with high res pics) I would prefer to buy the 500 GB 7200rpm and wait for the Vertex 3 and then use these 2.

Is it possible to use one of those hybrid HDDs in combination with a SSD in a RAID 5?

If any of the above doesn't make any sense, could you please take the time to explain instead of letting me know I have no idea what I'm talking about (because I already KNOW that)?
    Thanks in advance guys. :apple:

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

A single vertex2 is 20-30% faster then what Apple sells. 2 vertex3 would be massively faster.

I wouldn't waste money on Apples SSD if you just plan to replace it.

For any type of RAID you need the same drives so you can't mix and match.

I would think that a single Vertex3 of about 120GB and a 500 GB HDD would do better for you. 2 vertex in RAID would be great but you have less of a chance of loosing all of you stuff if you dont use RAID. Unless you back up often, then the RAID would be fine.

3. ElCidRo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your helpful reply :)
    I do plan to backup often. But would a double Vertex 3 in RAID 0 be worth the cost for the performance gained versus a single Vertex 3?

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

For cost v. performance? probably not. Unless you do a lot of Database, or spend ALL day doing tasks that are VERY disk intensive.

I would start out with 1 vertex3, and if you later decide you want faster get the 2nd.

5. ElCidRo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again! So its settled. I will go for a HDD and upgrade to the Vertex 3 when released.
    One more question:

Is the 500 GB 7200rpm the good choice for me if I plan to upgrade to Vertex 3?
    Would the 750 GB 5400rpm be a better choice taking into consideration the:
    - higher capacity
    - less noise?
    - less heat?
    and MOST importantly: - same performance in real use scenarios? (I will just store videos and personal stuff on it, and the OS, apps and work files on the SSD).

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

The performance difference should be negligable, but the 5400 RPM should have less heat.

7. ElCidRo thread starter macrumors regular

8. hoxley macrumors regular

the 128 ssd on the higher end 15mbp *is worth it* for the upgrade price.

will be interested to see the read / write speeds reported by 128SSD BTO users when they get delivered.

9. ElCidRo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - it is very cheap... but in my case its better to go for the HDD, because I plan to go for the Vertex 3 when its released in a few weeks. (better speed and more storage in the end).

10. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Me 2.. waiting for vertex 3