stock SSD vs. third-party options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Action Jackson, May 6, 2011.

1. Action Jackson macrumors newbie

I'd like to get a new 17" MBP and I'm wondering what the verdict is on SSD's... are third-party drives still a better option than the ones that come stock from Apple? If so, which brand/model is best? Also, what's the status with TRIM support and garbage collection in all this? Does Apple's current OS/hardware have either of these yet? If not, will Lion have TRIM support?

2. Cheffy Dave, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have 4 SSD's.
    A 256 GB OWC, in a 2007 BMB.A 64GB OWC in a 2008 BMB, both are mission critical, and I run my business with them.
    I also have 2- 1.6 GHZ 4/64 11" refurb MBA's, that I am in the process of installing 360GB OWC Aura's in each.(one more to buy)
    All OWC SSD's have performed as advertised, and have been problem free.
    I have spoken with Hellhammer, and he has advised against the hack to enable TRIM on each, I
    believe Apple supports garbage collection, on their own drives,but not others, but Lion will
    support Trim, so I am waiting for Lion before I activate the MBA's
    I have been very happy with all RAM, and SSD's purchased from OWC.:cool:

3. Action Jackson thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that garbage collection functions within the SSD itself, independently from the OS... whereas TRIM relies on OS support. Am I wrong about that?

Also really interested to hear how speed/performance of the current stock MBP SSD's compare to the 3rd-party alternatives out there.

4. ApplePu macrumors regular

I've posted this question as well on another thread:

are there any experiences with the samsung 470 series? according to the reviews, performance should be pretty good and especially the power consumption is really low. additionally, this model is installed in the macbook airs and what I've read those are getting good reviews performancewise....

5. Action Jackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody? Stock Apple SSD vs. 3rd-party SSD's? Speed, reliability, etc?

6. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I can only speak about the stock Apple SSD. I have the 512 SSD in my 15" mbp and it came with Trim support from the OS. It takes 16 seconds to boot to desktop with 8GB of Ram. The applications seem to load quickly, and it seems fast enough to me. I haven't had any problems with it. :)