Stock trading for beginners?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by island, Nov 22, 2007.

1. island macrumors 6502

island

Does anyone know of a good way to get into the stock market? Instead of just reading up I bet there is a nice program or web 2.0 based site to play with tickers and get a feel for how it works.

Any input would be great! :)

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

It really depends on what you want to do. Reading up is always a good start. It'll give you a good introduction as to how the markets work. Basic stock trading is pretty simple. Once you get into more advanced investing like options, turbos, etc. make sure you know what your doing.
    If you want to go for the simple straightforward buy low sell high stock trading I recommend you open a online account somewhere (TD Ameritrade is where I've always had mine), dump a few hunderd dollars on the account and have fun. Make sure its money you're willing to lose though. Investing in stocks is risky and won't necessarily make you any money whatsoever!

You could also start with one of the many online virtual portfolio management sites on the internet. Do a google search. That's a good way to practice if you're a bit frightened of using your own money right away.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you're not already:

max out your 401(k) to at least the employer match.

max out your Roth IRA allowance

...then if you've got money left, take a look at the market.