Stock Widget and its omission of certain entries

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CalBoy, Nov 12, 2007.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

My stock widget has begun doing something very unusual for the past week. I have US companies listed, along with the Dow 30 and Nasdaq. However, it has recently decided to drop only the Dow and Nasdaq. All other stocks work just fine. All I see is a green field, sometimes accompanied by a "+" mark. Has anyone else experienced this with their Dashboard stock widget? Here's a pic so you know what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

This has been around since that widget came out in dashboard. It's just glitchy as hell. Mine does it a lot.

3. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmmm...it never happened once while I had Tiger though. And, it worked for a full week or more after I put Leopard on. Now it's decided to make itself a permanent problem...

4. ehands macrumors newbie

Me too

I began experiencing this recently too. Oddly, the charting functionality still seems to work for those symbols, but not the change indicator. I am still running Tiger. I think Yahoo finance changed their index ticker symbols, or the current quote implementation, and the widget is not smart enough to handle the special '^' symbol that has been prepended to those index symbols. I switched to using DJI for the Dow, and that works, but I haven't yet found a symbol for the Nasdaq composite other than ^IXIC, which the widget validates but cannot display the +/- change values.

Anyone know of an update to that widget? Or perhaps a better free alternative?

5. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I honestly didn't bother to look up other widgets. :eek:

I haven't had the time to bother with something that's really a minor problem. However, if I find a good one, I'll be sure to post it (after finals). :)

6. gprent101 macrumors newbie

iStock Widget version 0.2.2

I just found an update for the iStock Widget the takes it to version 0.2.2 that has solved the problem for me. In this version the widget has a brown page background compared to a blue background for the original version. The update is located here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33421

There are new stock symbols for the major indexes that can be found on the Yahoo Financial web page. For instance, the Dow is now ^DJI and the S&P500 is now ^GSPC.

7. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Thanks for posting that update. :)

On a weird note, ever since the .1 update, the widget has been behaving normally.

Ahh the glory of bugs...:p