Stocks app that ships with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkSTi04, Mar 17, 2009.

1. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

I'm looking for the correct symbol for the actual price of oil. When I look it up in the app it gives me a few choices, but none of them look right when I see the prices on the news. Can anyone tell me the right one?

Thanks

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Are you looking for the commodity or something on the S&P 500??

Let me know and I'll help you look. Crude doesn't trade on the NYSE, but oil companies do. :)

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

The term "ticker symbol" refers to the symbol used to denote a stock, Mutual Fund or ETF; all of which trade on the stock market. Oil trades on the commodities market and can be found on any number of web sites which display commodities prices. You will find headings for different types of oil as well including light crude and heating oil. You can buy an oil tracking ETF on the stock market. Use symbol "OIL", or "USO".

I'm not sure if the iPhone Stocks App links directly to the commodities market so the results you're seeing may just be the ETFs or specific companies.

4. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

You can download "Bloomberg" from the App Store for free. Under the 'Markets' tab you can view commodities.

5. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular