Stocks trading software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lone Deranger, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Hi there,

I'm hoping to garner some recommendations for investment/trading software.
    For quite some time now I've been studying to familiarize myself with the basics of trading on the stock market.
    Some of the books I've been reading include the likes of Alexander Elder's 'Come into my Trading Room' and 'The New Sell and Sell Short'. Very good books indeed.
    I deem it's about time now that I take a next step and start putting together my own trading system so I can start testing it against the market data I'm interested in.

Please know that I'm not after software that cherry picks stocks and promises to do all the hard work for me. We should all know what a crock those are.

One application that drew my attention right away was BeeSoft's 'ProTA'. It seems to have a good feature list, has been around for a long time, is 100% Mac/OSX and is decently priced. I'd love to hear feedback from those with experience using this application.

Another application I really liked the look of is Worden's StockFinder 5.0
    Again a great feature list by developer with a long track record, but unfortunately it's Windows only.

I'm always seeing a lot of posts on these forums from people talking about their Apple/MS stocks... well please do share what trading software you use.

Thank you for reading! :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you're just starting, you do not need a dedicated trading suite. Not only will it overload you with information you will either not use or won't understand, it will not help you get ahead of the market which is almost impossible anyway.

Statistically, a novice will break even pretty much no matter what they do. Day trading should be left to the professionals.