Stolen 3GS Replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cnichols785, Jul 4, 2009.

1. cnichols785 macrumors newbie

Just got my 3GS a couple weeks ago and some a$$hole stole it! The serial is 87923EXE3NP just in case anyone is buying a used one off craigslist in the NYC area...

Anyway, I called AT&T and apparently, the only way I can get another iPhone is to pay the full retail price ($600 for my 16GB) BUT I could just cancel my current plan and pay the early termination fee ($175), open a new line and pay only $200 for the iPhone @ subsidized price for a total of $375...way cheaper than the $600 they told me. You'd think someone would realize this and try to help out a loyal customer who just got his phone stolen. Am I missing something?

Also, has anyone had any experience getting the police to try and track the phone? The officer I talked to knew it was possible but who knows if anything will happen.

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

You know.... if you have the serial number, you really should be able to have Apple track the phone for you if you can prove ownership. Just seems crappy the way it's all set up...

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Sucks that they won't help you anymore. I'd be checking craigslist and ebay though. Bet it will pop up there.

4. netslacker macrumors 6502

I would double check because I don't think this is possible. Something about 90 days in Terms. Also, since it hasn't been 30 days yet they'll likely just ask for the phone back and then cancel your contract.

5. vespoli macrumors member

You may need to pay the first month's bill first. Also, something to consider is the fact that you will lose your phone number when you cancel the account.

6. KwikC6 macrumors newbie

Did you get your mobileme account activated? If so you can go online and wipe and lock it so it is nothing but a brick. You can also track it thru the internet.

7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

From what I understand apple can track laptops so I don't see why they couldn't track iPhones if it uses wifi, gets plugged into iTunes, synced to another computer etc etc.

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry but "remote wipe" is designed to protect your data. The iPhone can quickly be restored from the "iBrick mode" and used by the thief, unspecting "stolen goods" buyer or the person that finds your lost iPhone. Yes, many of the claims of stolen iPhones are really just iPhones that the owner carelessly left laying around. :(

These days, a misplaced iPhone is just like leaving $400 on the counter in a public place and expecting everyone to return it. :eek:

Dave

9. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Yep. If you cancel your account you'll lose your phone number.

Better-ish option is to open a second line with an iPhone and cancel the line. You'll pay $375 + a month of fees and whatnot, but still cheaper than $600.

10. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to my Wife

This really sucks, just got my wife's replacemeant phone, I had my mother join my plan so I could get the subsidized price again.

edit* I also got 2 mobile me accounts now so hopefully this will not happen again.

11. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Add another line to the account for 9.99 and then swap the old number to the new phone and take the iPhone data plan off the new one.

If you terminate they may give you a hassle starting a new account. If anything I would go in and create a new account before you terminate the old one.

12. cnichols785 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies! I will certainly be activating Mobile Me right away when I get the new phone.

I posted the story to Craigslist and included the serial number and picture of the person who I am 99% sure stole it (he disappeared in the middle of the night from the party while everyone else spent the night and wouldn't return phone calls). Of course, he's denying it so the only way to prove it would be to use MobileMe, which I didn't have, or some KGB style interrogation tactics.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Reeds inserted under the fingernails works good from what I heard on Lost.

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

He could also sue you for slander if you couldn't prove it was him. Unless you have proof (and if you do why not call the police?) I would strongly suggest removing his picture and name accusing him of being a thief off the web (although it's probably too late).

15. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

He said he suspected it, not definitely knew it was him. And besides, stop suing people for calling you names! The law system wouldn't be so clogged up with people if that stopped and important issues would be dealt with!

I suggest you leave the picture on the web with the story. Just making sure you've worded it very clearly that you SUSPECT him (do not write he's definitely guilty unless you have very clear proof). As long as you don't post his details then you'll be just fine.

Sorry to hear about your phone being stolen though. It sucks. Some people nowadays have such a lack of morals!