Stolen gen 1 iPad, no IOS5 or iCloud

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BluAffiliate, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    Kind of a weird situation, let me sum it up: I had 2 room mates and none of us got along as well as we should. I lost my iPad half way through the lease after a party, so I figured it was stolen then.

However, I ran into one of my room mates and this was his story: After we were moving out him and the other room mate both found the Ipad wedged between a wall and a couch. The other room mate took it and said "well he already thought it was stolen and didn't seem to care that much, I'll just keep it, don't say anything." But this room mate felt guilty and finally told me, 6 months later.

Anyway, now I don't know who to believe. Is there any way to recover this stolen iPad now? It was a 1st gen, probably not updated, but it had my iTunes logged into it and whatever. Is there anything that apple store can do? Wifi only not 3G.

Thanks for any help.

I know many will simply say "go to the cops" but honestly I don't have much evidence, and don't want to go this route without having solid proof.

2. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Well, as far as the police is concerned, you do have circumstantial evidence and your other roommate could testify on your behalf, but I understand your not wanting to get them involved now. However, if I were you, I would actually get them involved.

You mentioned you don't have Find My IPhone installed on it at all (Pre-iOS 5)? If this is the case, I'm truly not sure what else you can do besides trying to find your old roommate (if you're not too far from each other) and get help from the roommate that told you or ask the police for help. Your options are kind of limited since you have no way to actually track your iPad.

My apologies, man. I really hope you get in contact with your old roommate and get this rectified. No one should ever have to go through this. I'd be very angry and exhaust all of my options to find my iPad if it was ever lost or stolen...

3. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

The police don't care what happened to an iPad six months ago. You should have contacted them when it went missing. What's to stop someone saying that their iPad was stolen when they sold it a few months earlier?

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Don't know what kind of relationship you have with these ex-roommates, but this story does not sound right. They might just be playing you.

You got yourself out of a bad situation with these roommates and you should probably forget about it and just move on.

If you haven't changed your iTunes password, do it now.

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

This. It's so beautifully obvious.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Stolen property can never be converted to another. Notify the police and tell them exactly what you told us. Keep in mind many cops own iPad's and feel your pain.
    I visit by them to your former roommate is likely to get your iPad back.

Worth a shot.

7. mrine2 macrumors newbie

Serial Number?

If you still have the original iPad packaging it should have the iPad's serial number on it.

Also when you registered your iPad with Apple they should have the devices serial number associated with your name.

Just my two cents.

Good luck in retrieving your stolen property. :)

8. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

Its your iPad, therefore you probably have box so you should know serial number. Ask the roommate if you can take a look at it and compare serials. If its the same then bluff him into returning it to you. You never gifted him with it nor did he purchased it from you. Not calling him a thief but I will let you draw your own conclusion