Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Linam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
When something of yours is stolen do you ever get it back? I had a phone stolen and they said i would have it back soon and its like 2 years later and nothing, now with iPod's Apple could block stolen serial numbers right?

What has been stolen of yours lately and returned, or not?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
marbles.jpg
lost. missed. :rolleyes:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I lose mt phone at least once a day. Funnily enough I seem to find it once a day too.

Losing phone and finding phone are proportional.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
one time, someone stole something of mine.
I knew who it was, so told them that I wanted it back or I would engage in cat fight to rival the best of them. (think worse than on reruns of Melrose place. Yeah. You don't wanna make me mad.)

I got it back about 2 hours later.

This was a few years ago, and looking back, I'm not totally proud of my actions. We live and learn.

I haven't had anything of mine stolen recently, though. I'm so paranoid about stuff like that. I keep everything GLUED to my person. I check to make sure the doors are locked multiple times. I'm a little obsessive about it. It gets in the way some times...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
katie ta achoo said:
I haven't had anything of mine stolen recently, though. I'm so paranoid about stuff like that. I keep everything GLUED to my person. I check to make sure the doors are locked multiple times. I'm a little obsessive about it. It gets in the way some times...
Some sort of Karmic balance for those that show off their expensive baubles and make people lust after them.

People know you have them, and will take them.

Sucks, but only the butt ugly objects that nobody want tend to stick around.

Which make me wonder why anyone would steal a Dell. :confused:

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Last year my friend's iPod was stolen from his gym locker. He was lucky though, 'cause he has this craaazy older brother who we've all heard stories about but nobody's ever met that was living in Florida at the time. Anyway, he was a tough cookie and still had a lot of friends going to school in town. My friend called him to talk and casually mentioned the iPod and who he suspected stole it. My friend's bro told my friend he'd call him right back, and five minutes later called back to say it was taken care of. The next day the kid who stole the iPod came right up to my friend, returned his iPod, and apologized. It was great.:)

Linam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
I think it would be a great service if Apple returned lost and found iPods to their owners. They have the details already.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
pknz said:
I lose mt phone at least once a day. Funnily enough I seem to find it once a day too.

Losing phone and finding phone are proportional.

Geez, as opposed to other people, who lose their phones several times before finding it once? :rolleyes: :D

A few years back I was with my (now ex) girlfriend at a bazaar, and I had my GBA stolen from my backpack. I thought the thing was lost, and tried to forget about it. But the next day my gf calls, and tells me her dad (a retired civil policeman; that's the equivalent of a FBI agent here) wanted to help me get it back. So we went back to the place, and we found the damn thing for sale. He scared the crap out of the woman who was selling it with his police ID, so I got it back at once, along with the game I was playing (Mario Kart Super Circuit. The bastards had reseted it though, and I had just unblocked the SNES circuits!).

I've had a couple of other things stolen, but I never got them back (a Saint Seiya action figure that some ******* stole at school, sunglasses stolen from my room by a maid, and my wallet once I was mugged).

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I've had many a thing stolen but the best was in band class in... hrmmm... probably 11th grade? I *always* zipped my backpack up to the same spot every single time... there were two zippers on the "track" and I always brought them together at the top. No real reason... I just always did. So anyway I left a bit to go do something and I come back and notice the zippers were down to one side. There were only like 3 people in the room so without even touching my bag I said, "Who went into my backpack?". Eventually some guy said he did (the other ones knew he did too) and he gave me back my calculator. I never told them how I knew they went through my bag. I bet he never went into my bag again.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
On the first day of official Physical Ed class (also my first week in HS) my locker was cleaned out. Some ******* stole all my clothes and textbooks. I was f***ing embraced that I had to go home in my Ph. Ed uniform -a blue sweat shorts and yellow T. Even worse, my keys and wallet was stolen along with my clothes so we had to change our locks.
Who the hell steels clothes? Even more, who the hell steels textbooks? That had to be one of the educated bastards i guess.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
Well a friend of my sister used to steal my clothes. I thought that was so strange!

XNine

macrumors 68040
About 4 years ago, my car was in aparking garage at my old employers office. Well, I got back from the field one night, pretty late (close to 9 PM, if I remember) and foudn a kid prying the EX and CIVIC emblems off my car. Funn enough, he didn't hear me coming and i gave him a kick between the legs (and from behind hurts the worse!!!!!!!!!!)

Needless to say, after beating the hell out of him for a mintue or so, I let him go. I let him keep the emblems, but I told him if he came back into the garage, I'd brutally torture him and toss his body in a dumpster. I don't think he ever came back.

I believe thieves should be punished brutally. If you can't work for what you want, you don't deserve it.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Nicely done, except for one thing: why the hell did you let him keep the emblems? A car without them looks like crap in my opinion, specially if thery leave glue residues... You should have told him that the next time you saw him, you were gonna cut off a part of him and keep it as a souvenir :D

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
When I as in high school many many moons ago, I left my day planner on the seat of my car (duh) and, of course, it got stolen. Luckily a couple of weeks later a guy sends me a letter with all of my IDs and the like. I figure that the douche bag was just going after cash and dumped the rest. Well, high school students from my neck of the woods never have any money. Thank god for being poor white trash.

Oh, and another stupid lesson learned. I told a supposed friend how to get into my house if he ever needed a place to crash or something. Well, he brings over a bunch of his douchy friends and they proceed to steal a bunch of stuff from my house while my family and I were gone, including a baseball card that at the time (over 10 years ago) was worth 75 bucks. Post script, the friend is now known as Meth Lab Tim.

Live and learn I suppose. (slaps forehead)

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
I've never gotten anything back that has been stolen. It is so crazy how much is stolen everyday from everywhere. And the crazy thing is, it's so often times the person you would suspect the least.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
I had a new motorbike stolen in 1984. It was a BMW LS 650. It only had 250 kilometres on the clock.

About 8 years later the police found it by the side of a road and phoned me. It had 270 kilometres on the clock.

The only damage was caused by being left on it's side stand for 8 years. That is all the o rings in the carburetors had disolved apart from that it was in the same condition.

I took the carbs apart and replaced all the o rings and flossed all the jets, and put in a new battery because that was also crapped, naturally.

It started first go.

About two years later after a 3000 k journey after arriving home I went to the local shop and a nurse pulled out of a hospital driveway and t-boned me. Smashed my tib/fib. The cylinder saved my leg. Had a pin inserted down the tib and everything is OK now apart from a bit of loss of movement in my ankle.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Linkjeniero said:
Nicely done, except for one thing: why the hell did you let him keep the emblems? A car without them looks like crap in my opinion, specially if thery leave glue residues... You should have told him that the next time you saw him, you were gonna cut off a part of him and keep it as a souvenir :D

I let him keep them because I wanted him to appreciate how hard he worked for them... Well, how hard I beat there living hell out of him. They would serve as a reminder. The H emblem is still there, so it looks alright.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I had a calculator stolen from me in HS. I had to get a TI-89 because of my calculus class. I got it through the school but it stil cost about 135, and about two weeks later someone got into my locker and stole it. I never did find out who stole it, but i ended up doing without a calculator for about a month and a half until i had enough to go buy another one. The calculators ended up costing me about 280 when it was all said and done.

In the end it helped me in that class though. I was depending on the calculator to much and was nto doing to well when we took the test and we could not use a calculator on some of it. Doing with out the calculator made me learn and understand the math better. I ended up being one of the only kids that could remember how to do certain equations out by hand (most people just used the calculator and forgot how to show the work).

If i ever find out who took it (which i doubt i will) i will find a way to get my calculator back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.