Stolen i5 iMac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gakboi, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Gakboi macrumors regular

Hi

I bought a new 27" iMac i5 in December. It arrived to the address I had it delivered to in London no problem but as I live in Riga, Latvia I had to stick it in the post with Parcelforce/Royal Mail (too big to take on the plane). It was last registered as arriving at Gatwick airport on the 16th December 2009.

If anyone has bought a second hand (but brand new, perhaps even unboxed) i5 in the UK or Latvia since then please check the serial number to see if it matches this:

w894877w5pj

If it does you have bought what was my iMac. Please let me know the details of who you bought it from. I don't know the legality of the owning unknowingly stolen goods but I imagine you should contact me from an internet cafe from a one off email address if you want to keep the computer. I'm getting an insurance payout from Parcelforce but want to find who stole it. I need it for work and it's costing me.

The good news is I got a MBP as replacement today which I will pick up in person.

Thanks

G

PS: Parcelforce = avoid

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Your biggest problem (if you are not just fishing for a scam around here) is you are from Riga Latvia. Actually I smell ******** all over this post--is this the lost string of pearls scam? What's the next part of your plan? you got a buddy who found it and you need a middleman to come up with some cash?

Don't believe this guys BS people RIGA LATVIA raises some huge red flags on its own it is a set up for a scam. This is probably the same douchebag (or a partner in crime) who tried to charge my bank account 58 bucks a month ago when an unauthorized debit card purchase showed up on my bank statements.

A warning to anyone with a bank account if you see any charges with "RIGA LV" contact your bank, dispute it, and ask for a new debit card there's a good chance you did not make such a purchase.

3. Gakboi thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. I dunno what you have against Riga or Latvia. It's where I live along with about a million other people. Someone robbed my iMac and I want to find out who. That is all.

It's no scam. Maybe my biggest problem is that I live in Riga seeing as I think someone stole it this side of the posting and not in the UK as it would be pretty hard to get it out of Gatwick Airport once it had been logged. Parcelforce said the other 3 items due for Riga on the same shipment arrived no problem.

If you think you have a problem with someone charging $58 to your bank account you can imagine how I feel about someone stealing my £1600 iMac.

FYI I bought the computer in the UK as there are no i5's available in Latvia. There is no official Apple store and the resellers only received C2D 27". If you don't believe me check by contacting them here http://www.i-deal.lv/lat/ . Martins the manager knows of my predicament and unlike this angry troll is trying to help me.

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Yah, like I am going to click any link based in "Latvia" try your scam someplace else. You're 2 posts in on this place and trying to call me out as a troll? Yah right, give it up--if this were a genuine issue concerning your supposedly stolen mac you'd have better things to do like track it down than complain about it here while the matter is being investigated.

My problem has passed my issue has been settled with the bank in my favor. And I didn't come in here a month ago whining about it while the whole situation was being investigated. Don't attempt to garner pity, it's a good sign you're trying to BS somebody saying you got ripped off it's the start to a classic scam. Maybe find yourself a nice message board where your country and the Nigerians can exchange tricks and stolen credit card numbers so you can charge somebody elses account for a £1600 mac.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, for one, I would like to give the guy a benefit of doubt. He could truly be someone who had his iMac stolen. At the same time though, you're right. One would need to be careful as to where to take this. Realistically, though, exactly how many people can respond if he lists a specific serial number?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? Maybe the guy is telling the truth and actually had his iMac stolen. Stop assuming he's a scammer just because he's from Latvia...and just because you got scammed by someone in Latvia, it doesn't mean everyone from Latvia is a scammer or that the country is a hotbed for scammers like Nigeria is. You can just as easily be scammed by someone in the US, Canada or the UK.

7. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I clicked on the link, my MacBook didn't explode and kill everyone in a 10km circle, and the website didn't look bad, looked fairly professional. :rolleyes:

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I fail to see what the OP wants here. If this is legit, do you really think your Mac ended up in possession of one of the (maybe) 100 people who will read this.

If it is a scam and I don't think it is because his English is too good. :D

HAVING CONSULTED WITH MY COLLEAGUES AND BASED ON THE INFORMATION GATHERED FROM THE NIGERIAN CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY, I HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO REQUEST FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE TO TRANSFER THE SUM OF $47,500,000.00 (FORTY SEVEN MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) INTO YOUR ACCOUNTS. THE ABOVE SUM RESULTED FROM AN OVER-INVOICED CONTRACT, EXECUTED COMMISSIONED AND PAID FOR ABOUT FIVE YEARS (5) AGO BY A FOREIGN CONTRACTOR. THIS ACTION WAS HOWEVER INTENTIONAL AND SINCE THEN THE FUND HAS BEEN IN A SUSPENSE ACCOUNT AT THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA APEX BANK.

WE ARE NOW READY TO TRANSFER THE FUND OVERSEAS AND THAT IS WHERE YOU COME IN. IT IS IMPORTANT TO INFORM YOU THAT AS CIVIL SERVANTS, WE ARE FORBIDDEN TO OPERATE A FOREIGN ACCOUNT; THAT IS WHY WE REQUIRE YOUR ASSISTANCE. THE TOTAL SUM WILL BE SHARED AS FOLLOWS: 70% FOR US, 25% FOR YOU AND 5% FOR LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL EXPENSES INCIDENT TO THE TRANSFER.

9. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Certainly the US Canada and other nations have their share I won't argue with you about that (And how did you know I had cheerio's for breakfast? That was a damn good guess LOL).

I am not willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt, I can smell the scam coming from a mile off. I may have almost gotten ripped off, but I am not stupid, however these douche bags managed to get my data it was not from me, and they definitely did not figure in that I check my bank balances religiously disputing any errors immediately. So now they have to deal with the bank because they ripped them off and my account remains secure.

Here are some useful links concerning the nation of Latvia:

First one is the US embassy there concerning tourism:

http://riga.usembassy.gov/warden0811.html

Further links reporting credit card scams, nightclub scams, etc:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/offshore-scams/zml-com/zml-com-big-choice-dvds-riga-l-2e326.htm

http://www.baltictimes.com/news/articles/21110/

http://bincrooks.blogspot.com/

Or just go do the Google search there are thousands of articles and complaints involving that country for everything from tourism to credit fraud.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=credit+card+scams+riga+LV&start=10&sa=N

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well what do you know? Searching "credit card scams united states" turns up about 18x more results than "credit card scams latvia." So your research method suggested above seems to be really effective at driving home your point. Better watch out the next time you roll up to the walmart in your SUV, someone will obviously scam you.

How can this story possibly lead to a scam? Specific serial number and a legitimate concern.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

I never fell for one here, just showing the results of that region, I never said there weren't scams here either(I agreed with another poster concerning that issue)--you can be ripped off from anywhere so what does your point have to do with anything. I think the OP is feeding a line of BS on a hook and hoping someone is stupid enough to bite.

There are big red flags on the OPs part, first one--at the time this individual posted the thread it was their very first post to mac rumors...second--this person just joined the forum within the last couple days....third--who has those kind of funds to pay for a laptop or brags about paying 1600 for a laptop (especially given their short time here--it's understandable that regulars would brag a bit)....fourth--it immediately turns into a sob story about getting ripped off and all these details are given to make it seem like its a legitimate issue....fifth--the OP is asking for help right from the get go....go ahead and help this guy out if you want but I bet the OP will ask for some kind of "secured loan" or other financial assistance that will screw somebody I am betting.....that combined with the fact that the OP admits any association with Latvia which has a major problem with tourist and credit scams as of late.

There is also this:
    The OP does not want anything easily traceable so suggest the use of an internet cafe and uses the "you can keep this if I can get some information for my insurance company" line.

Yep, its a total load of ********, but you can help this guy if you like.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Exactly... he is asking for people to check a certain serial number... he isn't asking us to send him money, send him our serial number, send him our SSN or anything else that could lead to fraudulent activity...

If he is a scammer he is a darn bad one.

P.s. I clicked on that link as well and no issues, did actually look professional.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

You do realize that it's pretty typical for people to sign up on forums, to, well, ask a question and/or get help, in many cases to never return?

I find that the more well-respected, long time forum regulars brag about their purchases less than most others.

And if you were in this situation, how would you go about putting it in a positive tone, not making it turn into a "sob story?" You probably wouldn't be too happy about it, either. Stuff gets stolen in courier systems in all countries; this type of thing is not unprecedented.

Oh, well then, since he's Latvian, it must be a scam. Nobody there has a legitimate cause.

As stated above, if this is designed to be a scam, it's an awful attempt.

14. Gakboi thread starter macrumors regular

What? Everyone knows how much a mac costs. And I can afford it because I have a job.

No I don't want any money from anyone. I just want to trace the thief of my iMac. I am already getting my insurance payout which is why I can afford to purchase a MBP so soon after buying the iMac. Parcelforce f'd up and they will pay. It's all processed already.

If I bought a computer online and then found out it was stolen I wouldn't want to lose it. Two wrongs don't make a right. What I know is that if it is traceable and I do report the theft to the police I am required, under law, not to withhold any information which may lead to the source of said information having more trouble than they want. As I said before the loss of money is Parcelforces problem because they 'lost' the machine.

Regarding the Riga blacklist on the US embassy site. All those bars are dodgy as **** and only Jersey Shore types would be attracted to go into them in the first place. I suggest that you get a passport and travel a little. It might open your mind. Also being on this forum for longer than I has nothing to do with what I just said.

Again to everyone else: if you or any of your friends bought a 27" i5 iMac in UK or Latvia please check the serial number. Thanks

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

On behalf of all Americans, I would just like to apologize for him. We're not all a bunch of xenophobes, and personally, I would love to visit Latvia one day.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Firstly to the op. You know who your theif is it's parcelforce. They hire alot of temps and things always go walkies.

To all the nay sayers. Honestly does everyone have to be a scammer? Tbh the attitude from some of you of late is really poor!

17. Gakboi thread starter macrumors regular

No need to apologise. I happen to own an American passport.... I would never make to mistake of painting a nation with the same brush.

Latvia is lovely. Do visit!

18. Gakboi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know. This is more out of a (possibly misplaced) altruistic sense of duty to remove thieves from circulation. I don't have a passenger mentality to life (un)fortunately.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who are you to speak for all Americans? :p

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Yeah, cause I'd love to have you speak on my behalf :D

Seriously, the OP doesn't sound like a scammer. And for his being new: It's perfectly acceptable to join a forum to get some help; That's the reason I joined - I needed help, and my first few posts were asking for it.

That said, I doubt the embassy and government are going to get involve in something like this. It's sad, but such is life..

21. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

yeah!!!!!!! it's part of my constitutional right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p

god bless america! lol

22. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I've barely heard of Latvia before this. The only other time was when we memorized a bunch of countries in Europe with this awesome song to th tune of Row Row Row Your Boat: Ireland, United Kingdom, Noorway, something, Sweden, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukrain, Romania, Albania, Hungry, Austria, Czech Rupublic, something else, Netherlands, Belguim, Switzerland, Italy, France, Spain and Portugal! So erm yeah.

If your not really a scammer, have fun convincing MR. There will be some who believe and then the stubborn ones who go and write long winded posts attempting to persuade the MR community that you are a scammer. Though if you are a scammer, **** off. And thank you to the guy who warned us, if that's the case.

23. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If that is the case you're quite welcome and my apologies for the long winded post it's just that this dude just don't sound kosher :D

:rolleyes: On behalf of myself I apologize for our wannabe diplomats not that they give a **** about my differing opinion in such matters and label those who disagree as xenophobic.

24. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You really did go overboard with this thread. The link he provided did NOTHING to harm anybody's computer, he isn't scamming, and you're being too paranoid. Give it a rest, will you.