Stolen iMac questions!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GelleCC, Nov 1, 2011.

1. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

Hi all,

I just had my iMac stolen (last time I leave my door unlocked accidentally!). I had some general knowledge/advanced tech questions to ask to try and recover it.

I'd heard there might be a way to track it using it's native ip address if they connect it to the internet. Is this possible? I have the ip address/mac address it but I'm not actually sure how I would go about tracking it through the ip (or if it's even possible). If they reformat/wipe the HDD, is this still an option?

I don't have any sort of lo-jack software installed on it - but like I said - I know the ip/MAC/and serial number.

Is there a way I could give the serial to apple so that if it's ever taken in for repairs they could notify me or hold it so I can come in with proof of purchase, etc?

I've tried google, but I only got one that seemed somewhat applicable (from reddit.com, no less) and I searched the forums but didn't really find anything about tracking it.

I guess what I'm asking is: Is there any way I can track it without having software like lo-jack and even if they've reformatted/wiped the HDD?

Thanks in advance.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

any chance you updated to Lion? and are on the iCloud?

3. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

I am on lion and I am on iCloud. What can I do from here? (no mobile.me) although I guess mobile.me is now part of iCloud??

I thought I could only do the "wheres my iphone" to track my current location. But I just looked into it and saw that icloud includes "back to my mac" and that I can login remotely? How would I go about doing that? I have a macbook and it's the same itunes account and it should be the same icloud account.

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

well login to your iCloud.com and use the find my mac app.

hope you turned it on your iMac.

5. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

I don't know if I turned it on - considering I didn't even know I had this capability I probably didn't. On the off chance I did turn it on would I still be able to find it if they've wiped the HDD? I was gone for quite awhile with my door unlocked so they've had plenty of time to wipe it if they wanted.

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

7. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

I did. But It's not going through. :/ does this mean I'm SOL?

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

did it let you login?

i was going to screenshot what it looks like if you have it, but I'm getting a connection error!

9. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Okay, I'm getting the connection error as well, so I thought it just meant I couldn't be signed in on my macbook and imac at the same time, and I'm pretty sure I didn't sign out on my mac. Please screen shot it if you can get through!

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

well once you can login...you will see a green 'radar' icon ...to the right of the ical icon. that is the find my mac app. hope it works for you.

11. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Thanks. I'm hoping it does but I'm really hoping they didn't wipe it. I'm afraid that might make it not work. MORE importantly, I hope I turned it on.

Thanks for the help.

12. noripwr macrumors member

Just wanted to mention you could also try PreyProject dot com for the future if you want even more protection against theft.

I know Find My Mac sounds great, but a mac user stealing a mac computer probably knows what it does and will likely turn it off asap. Prey works in the background and can take snapshots in intervals as soon as you notify a missing Mac so... it's more sneaky. Though I don't think any option would work if the thieves decided to quick format everything.

13. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i use hiddenapp.com

although it is down right now..hope not for long??

14. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Well, I tried again but it seems they've turned off find my mac or wiped it. Thanks for the help. I think I learned my lesson..

Thanks for the help - I think I'll start using preyproject because it's free.

Thanks.