Stolen Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hipsigti, May 3, 2012.

1. hipsigti macrumors member

Ok here is the deal i am a in security at a local law firm. we had a iPad stolen iPad 2 now i am not sure if the guy that owned it had find my iPad or mobile me on his iPad have not spoken with him yet. but it got me thinking what if my iPhone iPad or iPod got taken wouldn't restoring it by using DFU mode render find my iPhone or iPad useless ? i wanna tell this guy no but can't find any info on a definite yes or no can anyone help????

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Unfortunately you are correct. The data is protected, but there's no way to prevent someone from just wiping it and set it up as new.

3. hipsigti thread starter macrumors member

So why do people use these apps if it's as easy as restoring it to new? it is kind of disconcerting that people have the idea that this app will find my iPad or iPhone giving a false sense of security. I think these apps were not very well thought out in this aspect.

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

A lot of thieves aren't bright people, and wouldn't either:

A: Know what DFU mode is, or even what restoring is

Or B: Bother to restore at all if there is no pass code.

Unfortunately for the thieves that do, stealing an apple product is as simple as taking gum from a store.

5. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Unfortunately, the app is designed for "lost" iPads and no so much "stolen" iPads. If you iPad is legitimately lost and found by someone that doesn't intend to steal it, it's a pretty great app.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's never been advertised as an anti-theft solution, and I've never felt any false sense of security from it. I don't want my iPad stolen, but my primary concern would be npmy data, which, assuming I've password protected my iPad, is in fact safe. An iPad's probably more secure than a desktop or laptop computer.

7. hipsigti thread starter macrumors member

i understand i always look at it as more a security thing than anything else. i tried to contact apple to verify 100% but of course all my stuff is out of warranty. I think this guy is SOL.