All iPads Stolen iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wrinkster22, Feb 10, 2014.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Today my iPad mini was stolen from me. It had a passcode on it. I want to know how it will connect to internet. I thought that to get a notification from iCloud/find my iPhone the iPad needs to be connected to internet.
    Please help me!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, it does need to be connected to the internet for you to send a message to it or wipe it through iCloud. If it's a cellular iPad, that shouldn't be too hard. If it's wifi only, the thief will need to connect to wifi. If they don't, there's not much you can do.

However, if it's running iOS 7, they will not be able to restore and use it without knowing your iCloud account name and password. Not much consolation, but hey..

3. itjw macrumors 65816

How was it stolen?

Sadly, most thieves brazen enough to committ grand theft (depending on the iPad, but it can be, crazy as it sounds) know enough to not connect it wirelessly.

If it had been linked/secured through iCloud it's better than nothing, but thieves also realize that parts are valuable too and may never even bother turning it on.

Hope it works out. Time to call insurance and get a police report.

Sorry to hear it. It's only money, you can always make more.

4. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Yeah people will steal anything with an Apple logo on it these days. Hopefully you had iOS 7 installed and the thief won't be able to do anything with it except sell for parts and get a few dollars.

5. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thank you everyone for your quick replies I really do appreciate it. Its the first generation iPad mini Wi-Fi only. It is running IOS 7. I was sitting down and turned around and suddenly it was missing. Less then a minute and someone swiped it. I do use iCloud and sent out a bunch of notifications but I guess it will not connect to the internet ever again. Luckily I purchased it on a credit card that covers stolen products within x months. Thanks for the sympathy I appreciate it everyone! I am bummed out but at least all my photos (Yes I use my iPad for taking pictures, sorry for the social awkwardness) I have since checked are on my photo stream.

6. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Odds are against ever seeing it again. Most likely it's going to get sold for parts on ebay or something. Keep an eye on ebay in your area maybe you'll get lucky. I know a guy that had his stolen. He found it in ebay. He bid and won it and then had the guys name and address. Went to pick it up and took the police with him. They couldn't prove he stole it but nailed him for possession of stolen property.

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Sorry this happened to you.
    If it's any consolation, the thief probably thought or was hoping it was the mini retina, so there is at least that.

Plus, time to (sadly) change your sig line. . .

:(

8. 617aircav Suspended

Never leave your devices unattended in public. Never.

9. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

By some miracle the iPad was recovered. Now i just need to prove who did it and debating placing criminal charges for theft under $1000. And oops your right I should change my sig.

10. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

11. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Yes, I did.

12. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Well, tell us the rest of the story....

13. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I was in a relatively small class. There were 35 people and two staff. The iPad was stolen and I reported it immediately to the TA. She called down the monitors who searched everyones bag. The iPad was still not found but one student left in the middle of the class to the doctors. The school called there parents and told them that they suspect they have the iPad. The parents searched the thief's bag and found it. I called the parents and they said they had the iPad. The part that bothers me also is that when I got it back it was disabled for 5 more minutes. Meaning that between the time the parents found it and i picked it up he tried to get into it.

14. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Bravo for the school being proactive. Not sure that would have happened down here in sue, sue land.

Congratulations!

15. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Congrats! Glad to hear you had it password protected and iCloud setup.

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

And don't even think about not prosecuting. If you don't, the guy will have a laugh at your expense, and these people need to be taught a lesson. A criminal record will hamper him / her and that's how it should be. All my stuff is totally covered by insurance, but I would ALWAYS proceeed with charges whatever the item.

17. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah, don't pity them. They didn't pity you when they tried to swipe your iPad.

18. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I have posted this somewhere else, I will post it again here.

If you lose iOS device that have iOS 7 installed and find my phone enabled, don't give up. Sooner or later the person who finds it or the thief is going to get your message with your contact details. The person below in a story, who bought a stolen iPad Air on eBay got the message from the owner when she was trying to activate the iPad as a new product.

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

American teachers would have never done what your teachers did! Bravo for them!

20. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Congratulations on beating the odds!!!!!:D

21. itjw macrumors 65816

This is incredible.

But ABSOLUTELY press charges. The fact is, had it not been for some over-reaching search (and something that would undoubtedly never happen here... you would be the one getting sued lol) you would never see it again and he would have gotten away with it!

Teach him (and his parents) a valuable lesson: there are CONSEQUENCES for stealing. If you let him get away with it, he'll just do it again, and next time he'll only be smarter.

Throw the book at him, and maybe he'll think twice next time.

(Or maybe he'l turn into a hardened criminal drug lord that will haunt you forever... but at least you have good health care up there!)

Seriously though, go nuts. I would. It's not about revenge, it's about right and wrong.

----------

This is true for the most part, but lately the gig has been PARTS. While it is a lot harder to work on an iPad, parts aren't cheaper, and just because the logic board is locked doesn't mean anything else is.

It's sad, but most stolen iDevices are probably gone forever.

Still worth a try, and the story was (and is here) great, but they are the 1 in (probably) 1000.

Be safe out there people... I tell my wife that if she wouldn't put a stack of hundred dollar bills where she puts her phone, don't put the phone there either!

22. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That is correct. You can log in and put it into lost mode etc. In order for anyone to use it they will have to either guess your passcode or attempt to restore it. Which is why you do NOT want to hit the link that says 'remove from account'. That way even if they erase it, they won't be able to get it to activate. And Apple won't do crap to help them (they have to know the email address as part of the security protocol)

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Sorry to hear that. It sucks. I had my iPhone 4s with iOS6 someone took it when I fell asleep on the bus I had iPad with me in my messenger bag. I put iPhone on lost mode with my relay number but someone did called and refused to leave message several times I have a gut feeling someone want a reward. I am not paying for reward just because someone took it away! :apple:

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least make sure it gets into the school record that he is a thief.

It might destroy his chances of a quality education later in life... but heck if that happens, he deserves it anyway.

Likely it would only kill some scholarships and entry into some top tier schools where academic honesty is a trait they look for.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

prosecute for sure.

make sure it goes on his school records too; he should be expelled. this is not a pencil or paper notebook.