Stolen iPhone 4, now replaced, questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darrenhupke, Jul 3, 2011.

1. darrenhupke macrumors newbie

Hi, I had my new 16gb white iPhone 4 stolen today while at work. I unfortunately never set up any "find my phone" features. I called the cops and don't feel that they are going to find it, the cop looked at me and didn't get much info, then told me "if I see them again, call them" to get the problem solved.

A customer was in my store and saw the whole thing and even attempted to follow the thieves after they left while I was on the phone with the cops. He came back awhile later and couldn't find them, but we got into a long conversation about life and a lot of **** in general and he said I was a pretty good guy and positive person and felt bad, but that was that.

Later he came back with his wife and a new iPhone 4 with a gift receipt. They wouldn't take no for an answer so I have this new phone. I have called AT&T and deactivated my phone and changed my passwords on all the accounts related to apps that I could think of.

My question is, how can I activate this phone to be MY phone? I plugged it into iTunes and restored a backup of my phone but it says "no service" still. Is that because I deactivated my old phone? If I call the automated line and reactivate my phone will it reactivate my stolen one or this one?

What I want to know is how/who/what do I call to activate my replacement phone after normal business hours of an AT&T store and a holiday tomorrow?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to get a new microsim from AT&T.
    Then put the sim in and it will activate the new iphone 4.
    With your old sim deactivated now in the old stolen iphone there is no active sim on your account. If you reactivate the sim it will just activate the one in the stolen iphone.
    Find an AT&T store that's open and head there if you can. Maybe ones at Malls would be open on the 4th.

3. darrenhupke thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just thinking about that, that makes sense. Thanks, hopefully there is a place open tomorrow I can get to, thanks.

I changed all the passwords I can think of, but the thieves can still look at my cached email, text message conversations, pictures, etc still. That bugs the **** out of me because they were these drugged up thugs. I still have the box and receipt. I wonder if I can take that to an AT&T store and give them the numbers and not allow the phone to be activated? Long shot, I am guessing. I just hope I didn't forget to change some passwords of accounts that they may have access to even with a deactivated SIM.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, AT&T wont do anything about it.
    They dont blacklist stolen/lost cellphones IMEI's.
    So anyone can restore it and stick an AT&T sim and use it.
    Next time make sure you have find my iphone setup and put a passcode lock on it so noone can look at anything on your phone.

5. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I'm shocked no one has said how awesome the guy that gave you the replacement was. That was the nicest thing possible! I'm happy you have a new iPhone! Other then that I can't help.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

A huge +1 to this.

7. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Yes, it seems the OP has an answer to his question, but I just wanted to express gratitude to your client for giving you such an amazing gift. You must really be taking care of him nicely! There are still compassionate, righteous, and just plain nice people out here.

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Off topic a little but it reminds me when I was at a grocery store many years ago and a customer dropped a couple of 100$ bills as he was walking outside. I picked them up and gave them back, and the man whips out a 50$ dollar bill and gives it to me. I kept saying no thank you, etc but he was like well if you don't take it I'll just drop it on the floor (which he did and walked away.)

Had no choice to keep it haha

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Mad props to the couple that bought you the phone! That was super super super nice and it's really hard to find anyone that would do that. :)

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Thank you for posting such a grand example of generosity.