Stolen iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snick2040, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Snick2040 macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2009
    My iPhone 6 (ATT 128GB) was stolen in London a few weeks ago. I purchased the phone using my Amex and they have covered the (subsidized) purchase price of the phone (400 dollars). I am now trying to purchase a new iPhone 6. And Apples website says I'm of course not eligible for the subsidized price anymore. It now says that I need to pay 850 dollars for a new iPhone but lists this under a 2-year contract with AT&T. What I'm trying to figure out is will this phone be locked to at&t or not. Isn't 850 the full price of the iPhone 6 at 128 GB and shouldn't that price come without contract or having been locked to AT&T?

Thank You in Advance....
  2. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I'd say that you should be able to buy the phone full price and not be locked into a contract, though you already are for your now stolen iPhone.

Perhaps a visit to your local apple store to see what they have to say (or look to see if you can buy it at another location, like best buy)/
  3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Jun 2, 2010
  4. 617aircav Suspended

Jul 2, 2012
    Just buy it without any service from Apple. But the Verizon one as it's guaranteed unlocked.
  5. KPOM macrumors G5

Oct 23, 2010
    Either order the "T-Mobile" version online or buy the Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile version at full price in a store and it will be unlocked.
  6. JulesJam Suspended

Sep 20, 2014
    How does the AMEX purchase protection work?
  7. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    It sounds to me like you're still on the hook for the 2 year contract on your stolen phone. Think of it as a 2 year contract for phone service that happens to include paying off a subsidized phone (that was stolen). AT&T don't really care which phone is used on that line, but the 2 year agreement is the 2 year agreement until they have recovered the cost of that subsidized phone.
  8. KPOM macrumors G5

Oct 23, 2010
    The service contract is still in place no matter what. However, the OP is looking to at least get an unlocked phone. That's easy to do just by getting a T-Mobile version from Apple's website or anything but a Sprint version in an Apple Store.