Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xstranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Hello

I just purchased my new iPhone 6s and it was stolen from my car before i had the chance to open the box and activate the phone. I have all the paper from apple store and stolen phone imei. Is there anything else i can do to prevent the phone activation, or a way to find my phone when someone try to activate it over imei?

iShorty

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Nottingham, UK
That's very unfortunate.
Report the IMEI, then the phone won't work. You can't track the phone as you haven't activated Find my iPhone.

xstranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
That's very unfortunate.
Report the IMEI, then the phone won't work. You can't track the phone as you haven't activated Find my iPhone.

The phone was purchased from Apple Store from US. Should i report the IMEI to Apple? I didn`t find any way how to do that on Apple website.

xstranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
That sounds a little odd. Someone stole t from your car?

Yes, after i made the purchase from apple,i let the phone in Apple white bag in my car,and stop for 15 min to a supermarket. When i was back,the window of my car was broken, and my phone was gone. I had purchased 2,one for me and one for my wife,luckily, my wife open the box and had the phone with her.

Zaidat

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
Yes, after i made the purchase from apple,i let the phone in Apple white bag in my car,and stop for 15 min to a supermarket. When i was back,the window of my car was broken, and my phone was gone. I had purchased 2,one for me and one for my wife,luckily, my wife open the box and had the phone with her.
Did you file a police report? Report the theft and damage to your car insurance?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
What...you guys never seen a broken window of a car before? Of course it happens.

If you used a CC see if they offer some protection against theft like some do.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The phone was purchased from Apple Store from US. Should i report the IMEI to Apple? I didn`t find any way how to do that on Apple website.
You normally get the IMEI blocked by the carrier. If you purchased it SIM free unlocked then you are out of luck because Apple does not handle IMEI blocking. If you report it to the Police they might be able to get the carriers to block it but it would have to be every US carrier if unlocked. Even then it could still be used overseas.

xstranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
You normally get the IMEI blocked by the carrier. If you purchased it SIM free unlocked then you are out of luck because Apple does not handle IMEI blocking. If you report it to the Police they might be able to get the carriers to block it but it would have to be every US carrier if unlocked. Even then it could still be used overseas.

This is a bad news :(. I can`t believe apple can`t block the phone activation if an IMEI is reported as stolen . I just made a IMEI check and the phone was not activated yet. The phone is factory unlocked, my wife phone came with a tmobile sim ,i don`t know why...

azfalcons

Suspended
Sep 29, 2014
Valley of the sun

That sucks man. I would have never left it alone in the car or anything in an apple bag. Hope it all works out

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Um that happens all the time - smash and grab. Maybe not just for iPhones but I've seen my share of destroyed windows in Boston.
Very common indeed, breaking the window is also extremely easy its done with a spring loaded centre punch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is a bad news :(. I can`t believe apple can`t block the phone activation if an IMEI is reported as stolen . I just made a IMEI check and the phone was not activated yet. The phone is factory unlocked, my wife phone came with a tmobile sim ,i don`t know why...
Does it matter? I mean your phone is now gone and that sucks man, but at this point any IMEI locking has no impact on your situation.

Your best bet is to file a claim with your insurance

Still this bites and its a bummer :(

I know its water over the bridge at this point, but when I go showing, everything goes in the trunk or under the seat if I make multiple stops.

Last edited:

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Car or homeowners insurances cover these types of stealings. Make a claim. People are always surprised to find out that their homeowners insurance even covers items stolen from their car. So if your car insurance company gives you any trouble check with your homeowners - if you own a home, that is.

Reactions: eagleglen

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I'm putting my money on this being a joke. I find it hard to believe someone would spend that amount of money on something and leave it visible, in a bag that advertises what may be inside.

Imagine losing a 700+ dollar phone, when all you had to do was take it will you, or throw something on top. I'm with mercenary. Expensive lesson, but a lesson none the less.

As far as solutions, I have no idea if this would work, but I would let them activate it and in a few months call all providers and report the phone as stolen, so that they will already have the IMEI on record. Assuming it's on record when it's activated. I have no idea how that works, but hopefully it's possible.

Reactions: JSB1540

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah just allow your insurance to cover it. As for the phone, since it was still sealed and basically unactivated, there's no way to get it blocked. The thief has a brand new and usable iPhone.

You NEVER leave an Apple product visible in your car, especially not when it's brand new with the Apple Store bag and all.

Reactions: perkedel

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
Have you tried contacting the store for security cam footage? I know for example walmarts have ever foot of their parking lot covered.

And, you are the only person I know that does not rush home after getting a new apple product. :)

Really though, that's very unfortunate of what happened!

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
Does it matter? I mean your phone is now gone and that sucks man, but at this point any IMEI locking has no impact on your situation.

Your best bet is to file a claim with your insurance

Still this bites and its a bummer :(

I know its water over the bridge at this point, but when I go showing, everything goes in the trunk or under the seat if I make multiple stops.

Exactly what I was thinking except for water going over the bridge ;)

Reactions: JSB1540

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Many insurance companies do not cover smart phones for theft. USAA does not. I've checked. It may cover for damage using your deductible

Car or homeowners insurances cover these types of stealings. Make a claim. People are always surprised to find out that their homeowners insurance even covers items stolen from their car. So if your car insurance company gives you any trouble check with your homeowners - if you own a home, that is.

Yeah just allow your insurance to cover it. As for the phone, since it was still sealed and basically unactivated, there's no way to get it blocked. The thief has a brand new and usable iPhone.

You NEVER leave an Apple product visible in your car, especially not when it's brand new with the Apple Store bag and all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.