Stolen iPhone from porch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gniss39, Oct 23, 2011.

1. gniss39 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I ordered a 4S but had it shipped home to Oregon (currently living in Cali) so I could avoid the $65 sales tax. Had my dad ship it to my apartment Tuesday and it got here Thursday at 5pm according to the tracking number. However, I was in Yosemite until Saturday at noon after leaving Thursday at 1 pm so I left a note on the door for the delivery person to leave it at the Resident Managers office where they usually take packages if a signature is required and nobody answers. My dad also wrote "leave at apartment managers office" as the first address line so the delivery person would know. However he did not do signature required after I told him to. My tracking number says delivered to "PORCH" and the Resident Office has no record of a package for my apartment number on Thursday so at this point I assume the package got stolen from outside my apartment door. The complex is pretty secure requiring a key to get in gates and my apartment is an indoor hallway (like a hotel) on the third floor so I find it odd it was stolen as I always see packages outside of peoples doors.
    My question is, what can I do? I already filed a lost/damaged package on UPS' site. Will they not do anything cause my dad didn't require a signature? Can I go to Apple or is this all through the delivery carrier? Any advice/knowledge about these situations is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. reice23 macrumors newbie

When your dad shipped it did he insure it? If he did ups should reimburse you.

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Lesson learned. U needed to really leave it at UPS local office and you can pick it up most days Monday through Saturday.

Never ever sign a note to leave at apartment manager office.

If you ordered from UPS via AT&T. The box clearly says AT&T and most intelligent people will know that box contains some type of phone.

Your credit card should offer some protection for lost items and call AT&T on this so they can reverse the upgrade and let you buy another subsidize phone. Credit card will only reimburse you for the actual amount paid not the full price.

File police report for documentation.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

UPS is your only recourse. Hopefully your dad accurately valued the shipment (e.g. $650 if it's a 16GB), if not their liability is capped at only $100 :(

5. aneftp macrumors 601

His dad has nothing to do with the shipment. The OP changed the shipping address to Oregon so AT&T /FedEx or whatever carrier he used can deliver it there.

Think about it. If his dad could leave a note on his apartment door, his dad would have also been in Oregon and would have just kept it at his home for the OP to pick up anytime.

6. reice23 macrumors newbie

Hegot it shipped to his dads to aboid the 65$ and his dad shipped it to his apt in cali

"I ordered a 4S but had it shipped home to Oregon (currently living in Cali) so I could avoid the $65 sales tax. Had my dad ship it to my apartment Tuesday and it got here Thursday at 5pm according to the tracking number."

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What?

Reread the OP. His dad lives in Oregon. It was shipped and delivered to his dad. His dad created a new shipment to ship it to him in California. The OP left the note. His dad has everything to do with the second shipment.

8. gniss39 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm with Verizon, not that it matters though. Ill call my dad in the morning to see if he insured it and stop by the local San Jose UPS location too. Lesson learned indeed :( .
    The thing is it was in an Amazon box that had a few other things in it my dad shipped so it wasn't the typical iPhone box. Maybe the delivery Guy took the package back to attempt to deliver again without changing the delivery confirmation although I think I'm just being optimistic at this point.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The OP could have worded it more clearly :) but as others pointed out, it was delivered first to his dad, then his dad re-shipped it.

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Got it. Its Sunday morning. Just having my morning coffee.

My fault.

Anyways seems like a lot of trouble to circumvent $65 taxes. I know California is ridiculous with their full price tax on subsidize phone.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Hopeful your dad insured it, otherwise it was an expense lesson.

I have to wonder why your dad would have shipped it knowing you weren't going to be home though. For future reference if he ships FedEx he can mark it hold at station (further backed up by using the stations addy) and I'm guessing you can use the UPS stations addy too.

Since your Dad was the shipper, he should have been the one to request/require a signature on the package also....

12. gniss39 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah looking back on it, it was a lot of trouble to save that money for such an expensive device.

After filing the claim around 1230 pm Saturday, it now says tracer request/trace only tracer in the tracking info. But under deliver for last known location it says San Jose 10/22/11. Maybe this means they lost the package and never delivered it and possibly found it at some UPS location in San Jose?

I will check with the Resident Office in the morning and update you guys.

13. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

just to save $65 you had to go through all of this..... not to mention you had to pay UPS at least 10 bucks to ship it from oregon to cali :rolleyes:

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've had items stolen off my doorstep when I lived in a townhouse years ago. There's nothing you can do because if UPS can prove the package was delivered, you cannot blame them for the item being stolen.

What you should have done was have it held at the hub, it's the safest way to get any package.

15. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

16. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

why did you have your dad mail it you if you knew you were going camping for three days?

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Did you contact Verizon yet?

It being a Verizon iPhone is a good thing. You can contact Verizon and they will blacklist the ESN number and at least the thief will not be able to use it on Verizon or Sprint here in the USA and maybe AT&T if the SIM lock stuff works correctly. :D

Dave

18. gniss39 thread starter macrumors regular

I had him ship it because I figured between our note on the door and the note on the package and us not answering the door, the delivery person would take it to the Resident Services office where it would be safe. And there was a brief chance it would come Thursday before I left in the afternoon.

I'll go to the UPS store tomorrow to confirm they actually left it on the porch and then contact Verizon to blacklist the ESN if I'm sure they delivered it on our porch.

Thanks for the replies guys

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sorry to say ... looks like some jerk scooped it from your doorstep.

wish you luck though :apple:

20. gniss39 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: well after talking to my neighbors they confirmed they saw a package which means it was stolen. After numberous visits to Apple and Verizons stores in addition to both company's customer service lines it seems nothing can be done.

Luckily my mom is eligible to upgrade and only uses dumb phones and kindly let me use my upgrade. If I get the ups insurance money back, no money is lot. Ships the 4th overnight to my place with a REQUIRED signature. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the replies/suggestion/help! Can't wait to get my iPhone and retire this OG droid!