Stolen iPhone (part II)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brewno, Aug 29, 2008.

1. brewno macrumors 6502

So my iPhone (Fido, Canada) was stolen and I called them they said they couldn't do anything over the phone except to cancel my line for the time being. They suggested me to go to the main Fido store in Montreal to get one for the full price. I went there, and they said they couldn't sell me one. I tried to explain the situation, telling I called in and I was told to come there. There was nothing they could do, they wouldn't sell me an iPhone without paying 500$ to cancel it and get another 3 years and pay for the new iPhone (~350$ after tax). I'm really frustrated right now, it's been a week without a phone and I can't buy another one! And I still have to keep paying 115$ a month... Suggestions?

2. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Damn. you're in quite a pickle. I'd try calling customer service again and insist to speak to a manager. You'll probably have to produce a police report or something like that showing it was stolen.

3. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have the report. On the phone with Fido again. It's amazing how screwed up this situation is.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

WoW:eek:

talk about getting screwed! so sorry to hear about your troubles, i really hope Fido does the right thing by you.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Good luck.

6. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

Still on the phone. Now they want me to pay 400$ to close the contract and to start a new one to have a new iPhone... (400+299)*1.13$

7. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

Have you contacted Apple? .. I've dealt with them via phone as we don't have a store anywhere near and they were very helpful (not a stolen iPhone but needed replacement and O2 and CarphoneWarehouse weren't playing ball)

Hope you get this sorted for sure!

Loopy

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

good call. Apple might be willing to help you and apply a little pressure to Fido. they are being quite unreasonable.

i can understand having to pay the unsubsidized price, but having to pay an ETF as well is ridiculous.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yah, call a laywer.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

At least a unsubsidized price is what I would expect. You need to get it replaced.

11. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

No offense, but spend several hundred to a few thousand dollars to avoid paying $699.00? Doesn't seem like the best financial advice.

To be honest the $699 for a 16GB iPhone 3G is in line with the no contract price in the US. It's a lot of money for most people but doesn't seem inappropriate.

12. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

At the end I had to cancel my contract (400$) and now start a new contract, paying the regular 299$+tax. Sigh. At least this is over, I just hope it'll never happen again. It's a pain, trust me. :(

13. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Sorry it was such a pain. What I don't understand is why they didn't just sell you the phone for $699.99 instead of going through all the contract BS. Seems like a bunch of useless and extra paperwork to me.

14. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

Because they said the phone is only sold with a 3 year contract. They can't sell it separately, even if it's with an iPhone plan. :rolleyes:

15. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

So what happens if someone drops and breaks there's? I haven't dropped mine yet but I expected that if I did I could go and purchase another one. What a gong show! It seemed better for us in Canada when we had to go to Ebay and pick them up unlocked! I hope they figure this out!

16. Linuss macrumors regular

Refuse to pay the bills, simple as that. They can't force the money from you as if they decide to go to court you can show the police report showing it was stolen and also show that you have NOT used any of the time on the phone. No sane judge would make you pay for something you can't/don't use.

17. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Bad advice. When you sign the contract it doesn't matter if you use the service you are required to abide by the terms of the contract.

By refusing to pay they can send your account to collections, file negative credit reports and should they sue you, I can guarantee you would end up with a judgement against you which would further ruin your credit score.

So unless you can find a loophole in the contract you are signing you are unfortunately tied into fulfilling that contract.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so the carrier is all the sudden responsible for the op's actions....

not to mention, not paying can and will hurt your credit as well as have service cut off until you do pay it

im just going to "tell the cops my iphone was stolen" so i can use your advice and not have to pay for any usage lol