Stolen iphone

Ericatomars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Chicago IL
is there any kind program that can lock an iphone. My buddies iphone was recently stolen and he was able to track it down but she refuses to admit the phone isnt hers... very upsetting... but is there any kind of program?

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
He could have ATT look up the IMEI and prove it was his...or just have them block the IMEI making the phone useless as a phone.

Comment

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
is there any kind program that can lock an iphone. My buddies iphone was recently stolen and he was able to track it down but she refuses to admit the phone isnt hers... very upsetting... but is there any kind of program?
Humor Response: No but maybe Verizon has a map for that... how did he track it down? What if he is wrong?

No, you can't remotely "brick" the iPhone. You can only get the iPhone to erase it's data based on password rules or remotely via MobileMe or example. You can only protect the data on the iPhone and only to a certain extent, a determined thief or law enforcement agency can quickly recover even deleted data.

Dave

Comment

Ericatomars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Chicago IL
I wish they would come up with such a program.. I was thinking about it last night and thought wow, my phone is my life, it has just about everything on it and the idea of that being in someone else's hand is quiet scary.. not to mention if i cant enjoy my phone, I defiently don't want someone else enjoyin something i've spent my hard earned money on.

I know ATT can't do anything and i know the only thing the police can do is file a missng/stolen report.. and we read these "horror stories" all the time mac rumors about people either losing or having their phones stolen and all these horrible things happen. I suppose its the gift and curse of the iphone and all all smartphones..

Comment

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Just password protect it. The new "owner" will be forced to restore as new to use it. It won't get your phone back but at least your data is safe.

Comment

joelme

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
i had the same "accident" and now i'm looking for secure app to my iphone - any recommendations?

Thanks,
J

Comment

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Seconding the password protection....

There is even an option of deleting the contents if the passcode is incorrect after 10 tries.

Fairly damn secure if you ask me.

Comment

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Seconding the password protection....

There is even an option of deleting the contents if the passcode is incorrect after 10 tries.

Fairly damn secure if you ask me.
Yes, but that's not what most people whose phones are lost or stolen care about. They want their iPhones back.

Comment

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, but that's not what most people whose phones are lost or stolen care about. They want their iPhones back.
Yet Erica's first and foremost worry was/is:

"I wish they would come up with such a program.. I was thinking about it last night and thought wow, my phone is my life, it has just about everything on it and the idea of that being in someone else's hand is quiet scary..

Comment

kcfroines

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
IF he had mobile me he could have remote wiped it, or even set a lock password on it.......

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There is no lojack type of thing for the iphone.
All the thief has to do is either shut off the phone or remove the simcard or just restore it thru itunes and no matter what security program you had installed it doesnt mean anything.
The only good thing with a passcode lock is at least they wont be able to get into your phone records,email, texts and any other information you might have on your phone.
US carriers dont block IMEI's so anyone that finds it can restore it and use it on AT&T or Tmobile if they wish.

Comment

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Why not just take it? Sorry, but if I was fairly positive that someone had my phone I would simply take it back (use your imagination as to how I would go about doing that).

On that note, I don't know why people don't just pony up 10$ a month for MobileMe. GPS tracking, remote lock, send a message to the device (with audio alert whether the phone is on silent or not), and ultimately a remote wipe option. All the security that anyone should need.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.