Stolen iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ericatomars, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Ericatomars macrumors regular

is there any kind program that can lock an iphone. My buddies iphone was recently stolen and he was able to track it down but she refuses to admit the phone isnt hers... very upsetting... but is there any kind of program?

2. KingHuds macrumors 6502

He could have ATT look up the IMEI and prove it was his...or just have them block the IMEI making the phone useless as a phone.

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Sorry but AT&T does not blacklist IMEI numbers, they will only deactivate the SIM.

Dave

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Humor Response: No but maybe Verizon has a map for that... how did he track it down? What if he is wrong?

No, you can't remotely "brick" the iPhone. You can only get the iPhone to erase it's data based on password rules or remotely via MobileMe or example. You can only protect the data on the iPhone and only to a certain extent, a determined thief or law enforcement agency can quickly recover even deleted data.

Dave

5. Ericatomars thread starter macrumors regular

I wish they would come up with such a program.. I was thinking about it last night and thought wow, my phone is my life, it has just about everything on it and the idea of that being in someone else's hand is quiet scary.. not to mention if i cant enjoy my phone, I defiently don't want someone else enjoyin something i've spent my hard earned money on.

I know ATT can't do anything and i know the only thing the police can do is file a missng/stolen report.. and we read these "horror stories" all the time mac rumors about people either losing or having their phones stolen and all these horrible things happen. I suppose its the gift and curse of the iphone and all all smartphones..

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just password protect it. The new "owner" will be forced to restore as new to use it. It won't get your phone back but at least your data is safe.

7. joelme macrumors newbie

i had the same "accident" and now i'm looking for secure app to my iphone - any recommendations?

Thanks,
    J

8. AndyCodez macrumors regular

Lol if she refuses to give it back just take it back...

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Seconding the password protection....

There is even an option of deleting the contents if the passcode is incorrect after 10 tries.

Fairly damn secure if you ask me.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, but that's not what most people whose phones are lost or stolen care about. They want their iPhones back.

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Yet Erica's first and foremost worry was/is:

"I wish they would come up with such a program.. I was thinking about it last night and thought wow, my phone is my life, it has just about everything on it and the idea of that being in someone else's hand is quiet scary..

12. kcfroines macrumors newbie

IF he had mobile me he could have remote wiped it, or even set a lock password on it.......

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no lojack type of thing for the iphone.
    All the thief has to do is either shut off the phone or remove the simcard or just restore it thru itunes and no matter what security program you had installed it doesnt mean anything.
    The only good thing with a passcode lock is at least they wont be able to get into your phone records,email, texts and any other information you might have on your phone.
    US carriers dont block IMEI's so anyone that finds it can restore it and use it on AT&T or Tmobile if they wish.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Why not just take it? Sorry, but if I was fairly positive that someone had my phone I would simply take it back (use your imagination as to how I would go about doing that).

On that note, I don't know why people don't just pony up 10$ a month for MobileMe. GPS tracking, remote lock, send a message to the device (with audio alert whether the phone is on silent or not), and ultimately a remote wipe option. All the security that anyone should need.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Do you have a receipt for purchase of the phone? does it have a serial number? Why not talk to the police? This is more than petty value.