Stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pnt101, May 24, 2010.

1. pnt101 macrumors member

pnt101

Alright you guys remember when that kid got his iPad stolen from his schools locker? Well its my turn =( I left my iphone in my pants in my locker at school and locked up as usuall. WHen i came back everything seemed normal until i opened my locker... 2 of my backpack's zippers wear open, thats when i got suspicous so i immediatly when to my pants to check it, there... my phone was gone. I ran to the gym teacher and he said go to the office to file a report. I went there blah blah blah, so now I'm filing a report with the police. I can do that since my phone's worth over 500 right? Ok now what can i do now other than the police and school officials? The phone was on but in airplane, the carrier was T-Mobile, i called them and suspened my plan for that phone, now i don't have mobileme(99 seems worth it now) so i can't use that to track. I heard apple can track it whenever it syncs to itunes, im just wondering if thats true. I have the serial number and everything (box, reciept, ect). Could anyone give any other advice in help finding it?

Device:
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    T-Mobile Carrier
    Jailbroken and Unlocked

I also have 2 suspects that might have taken it.

1. The gym teacher sometimes opens random locker for kids who foregotten thier lock combonation so I'm guessing someone might have asked him to open it not knowing it belonged to someone else.

2. A kid that demanded me to sell my iPhone to him for $50. I said no then he flipped me off then swore and all that good stuff.

So who thinks they can help me?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can't help you get it back, though I hope you do. It really sucks.:(

Don't forget to change any passwords of accounts that you regularly check using your iPhone. You wouldn't want that scumbag to get access to bank accounts, email, facebook, etc.

3. bigchief macrumors 6502a

You need to call the police and add 1. and 2. to your report. That's 2 suspects they need to know about.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

happened to my friend. demand to see the video cameras around the locker room and you may get some info. good luck.

5. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

lol Apple won't help if they know its unlocked AND jailbroken
    The School might not even care and blame it on you for bringing the phone [depending on how your school is]

Plus IMO, an iPhone 3G w/ 8GB is so 2 years ago, this could be an excuse to buy the new upcoming iPhone

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Damn, that really sucks. Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions as to how to get it back, but I hope they catch whoever got it soon!

7. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

i know the principal really well, we been friends since i was 4 so not caring is not a problem. But still lets say it wasnt jailbreakon what would u reccomend doing? also poor school so no cams

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Next time try not bringing it to school.
    Leave it locked in your locker or always in your pants. With so many people there you never know who took it.

9. theTechnician macrumors member

Alright, this is ironic...
    Today, my iPhone 3G 8gb was stolen from my gym locker out of my shorts pocket sometime while i was in gym class, someone must have gone back to the locker room and taken it.

Anyways, after gym class, I went to the school library, got on a computer, and logged into mobileme. Whoever took it turned the phone off, so it was untraceable. I sent it a lock request, as I didn't have a code on the phone, and it said it would email me when the lock request was received (aka when the phone was turned back on.)

I went home and not shortly thereafter I got the email, so I jumped on mobileme and was able to track it down to a residential street. I looked up the street on google, and found a list of people living on the street, and one last name matched. I printed out screen caps of all this, maps, addresses, names, etc.

So, do you think my evidence will be enough to have the thief face some sort of repercussion? There are also cameras outside the locker room that I might be able to review with the school police officer...

(Sorry for the long post!!)

-theTechnician

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Collect as much info as you can and then contact the police and the school administration about it.

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Wait, how do you find a list of people living on a certain street? Just curious.

12. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Guess what? I took $10,000 to my poor school today and left it somewhere in
    my pants while I went someplace else and can ya believe it got stolen! Gawd darn it!

Gosh I bet it was my gym tutor! He's always after something in my pants!

13. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

wow.......

14. RichL macrumors 6502

I lol'd

15. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Yes, this is all important. Make sure to get the serial number for your iPhone and include that in any police report, since that's how they'll know it's your phone even if it has been wiped. I'd get down to the police station ASAP before the phone is turned off again, and show the officers the location on MobileMe in person. Also I'd call AT&T and have the phone reported as stolen (maybe do this at the police station), this is also important as it actually helps make a case for the police to potentially issue a search warrant for the suspects home. Ask the AT&T rep for the IMEI number, the police will want that included in their report as well. If you do get your phone back, you should be able to call AT&T and have them remove any locks on the phone.

In January I had my phone physically stolen from me at gun point (that's something I hope nobody has to experience), so I know firsthand what sort of information is important to bring to the police. It sucks because I had to use my early upgrade eligibility to get a 3GS (I need an iPhone for my work) so I'm not able to get the 4G that comes out this month.

Good luck getting your phone back, hope it all works out.

16. No ice please macrumors 6502

Wow you guys are having some bad luck. I was always paranoid of my iPhone being stolen in school. I took precautions the first couple weeks I had the phone. Like always make sure I had locked it. Put a passcode on it. Keep it on me at all times. Except Gym I would always give it to my trusted friend (we are neighbors). But the times when I couldn't give it to her I would give it to my Gym teacher where he would put it in his Office (locked) and into his desk (locked). But after a month or so I found that iPhones were pretty common in my school and people were pretty careless with them I relaxed a little.

Anyways tl;dr Always have someone trusted to give it to. OR just leave it at home those days.