Stolen iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imhereareyou, May 18, 2017.

1. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

So when my phone smashed to bits on a monday I went to Craigslist to buy a phone until I could get a new phone on the weekend. There are so many iCloud locked phones. Doesn't that mean the phone is stolen? Or is there something else here. I was just looking for a 5s and there were like 30 all iCloud locked.
    The cops should follow up and meet up these "sellers"

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

The police has better things to do than chasing stolen phones. If people stopped buying them,the thieves would stop stealing them. It's people who buy used phones,stereos,car audio systems or cameras,withouth original sales recipe that give the crooks a market for their stolen goods. So,it's not the police that should stop them,it's the people who buy the stuff that should boycott these "salesmen ".

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Thousands of phones are lost or stolen every day so there is little the police can or will do.

What is great is that Apple has taken steps to make stealing it's iPhones a little less attractive.

4. 0007776 Suspended

Yes those are either stolen or lost phones that someone found and decided to sell because they either didn't want to or couldn't return it to the owner. And the police won't meet up with all of them because they don't have the time. As well as they would have to actually prove that it was stolen and not just that the person forgot their iCloud password. Also there is nothing illegal about giving someone a phone and then being annoying by putting the iCloud lock on it, all one of those people would have to claim to get off is that a friend who owned the phone gave it to them and then decided to be a jerk and lock it. Without the original owner there to prove that it is theirs and that it was stolen there isn't much the police could do.

5. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Yea, I just think it's bogus... They sell them for $50 and for whatever reason it seems like people buy them. I was about to buy it then i looked up what iCloud locked meant...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some buy them for parts. Everything is still usable to repair other similar model phones besides the logic board with the locked serial.