stolen ipod touch hope?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by warlord zepnick, Jul 22, 2009.

1. warlord zepnick macrumors newbie

My iPod touch was recently stolen. I spoke to my town's police officer and filed a report. We were able to narrow the suspects down to 5 kids who were at my house who were seen acting suspiciously.

I gave the detective both my serial number and case number from when I previously called. Apple also has the serial number and is aware of the situation, plus my ipod is registered.

So, if the police department links up with apple which the customer representative said they could, what would be my chances of being returned my stolen property. What does the person who stole it have to do for Apple to be able to pick up their IP address and forward it to the police?

2. jfong425 macrumors member

your chances are pretty slim. I know Apple can't track where the IP address is because it is against privacy laws. Also I don't think the police will want to spend time and money hooking up with apple to help you find a $229 iPod. Sorry to break your balls.

3. nallington macrumors newbie

This is exactly why I had mine laser engraved with my name on it. Sure, if a thief wanted to use my iPod for their personal use, it wouldnt stop them, but if they tried to resell it, they would wonder what they are doing with an iPod with someone elses name on the back.

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Why would that stop them? Some people don't care if there's a name on it, as long as they get a decent iPod touch in the end.

To the OP, is there any you can get in touch with those five kids' parents? Otherwise, sorry, your iPod Touch is most likely never going to resurface again.

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

did you update to the 3.0 software on the iPod touch? And do you have mobile me? You could track it yourself if they get in a hotspot. I know that's a lot of 'if's but....

6. josueg942 macrumors member

I'm not so sure if its findmyiphone is available for the Ipod Touch.
    To Warlord Zepnick: Just keep your hopes up.
    I had a friend who went to the gym and someone stole his iPhone.
    Luckily he had a passcode for it.
    He called apple and had it registered with the serial number and all.
    The person who stole it then took it to the apple store and they scanned the serial number and took it from them.
    He then went to pick up and left satisfied!
    Maybe this might happen to you, so just keep your head up high!:)

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Find my iPhone works with iPod touches as well, as long as they have 3.0 and the Find my iPod touch feature enabled in the MobileMe account settings on the iPod touch. Location services must also be enabled and access to a wi-fi spot must also be available.

8. josueg942 macrumors member

ah I see, well I wasn't so sure since the name says find my IPHONE and I dont have a mobileme account.
    Well thanks anyways. =]