Stolen Ipod Touch Identifying Information

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bob Chadwick, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

My son's Touch was stolen and he thinks he knows who took it. I went into ITunes and found that there was a backup of a device, including the S/N of the backed up unit. My son had upgraded to the Touch recently so I'm not sure it it is a backup/serial number of the Touch or his previous Ipod.

I had a couple of fall back positions for identifying information from the actual Touch, including wireless network id's and email accounts. All of this assumes the thief was not smart enough to "format" the unit and start over (he is a 17 year old freshmen who had the locker next to my son's and is walking around the school with the unit in the same case that my son had on it).

Is there any other way to get the serial number of the Touch out of Itunes or elesewhere? Is there any other way to identify the Touch as his?

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

If you go to iTunes Preferences\Devices you will see a list of all the devices that have been connected, If you hover the mouse cursor over each device a pop-up will display the serial number.

3. Bob Chadwick thread starter macrumors member

That's where I got them from. For some reason it called the devices backups.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

What an arrogant & ignorant little punk! I wish for Bad Things to befall him.

The files that you speak of are backups, insofar as you could buy another Touch and connect it to iTunes and then restore all of the data from the stolen device onto a new one, creating a clone of sorts. I'd think that armed with printed info from iTunes showing the SN of your device and having the thief called into the Principal's office along with "his" device which will have the SN listed under Settings > General > About > Serial Number, you'd have an open & shut case for proving your ownership. Your son will need an adult to corroborate the facts & that's you. :)

Good luck & give 'em h3LL.

Please post your results.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The original product box has serial.
    If you bought from Apple, the receipt has serial.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also if you have the serial and don't know what product it's for, you can input the serial number here. You can figure out the purchase date looking at the warranty end date and adding one day to it. Also when you do the confrontation be sure to go to the school office and bring the local sheriff.