Stolen iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris57, Jan 26, 2009.

1. chris57 macrumors member

So today my 80 GB Classic was stolen out of my car while I was at school. I had stupidly left it right out in plain view. I filed a police report, but I don't think that its just going to turn up. Insurance doesn't cover it.

So, I'm ready to buy a new one. Right now I have 11 gigs of music and I definitely expect that to grow. I really want an iPhone, but unfortunately I'm stuck in my Verizon contract for another year and a half. So, naturally that leads me to the iPod touch. I like it, but its pretty expensive. I think that 16gigs isn't enough space, but the 32 gig is so much money. If any touches are around when Circuit City's discount goes to 30%, I can get it for $280, which I definitely would. But I'm not sure when that will be. Does anyone have any input on what I should do? Any hidden deals?

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Often people ask me what should I get, a iPod Touch or an iPod Nano.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to store your 11 gigs of music, and that's it, go with the nano. If you have some movies, pictures, and 11gigs of music, get the iPod Touch. Both are great products, and really it comes down to how much money are you wanting to spend. If you plan on getting an iPhone, the touch would be good to get you familiar with the basics.

You can get the 16 GB nano for 178.95+Free ship @ amazon. The 16 Gb Touch goes for about 290 + free ship @ amazon.

3. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

I would love to be able to get a 16 gig ipod, but I feel I really should get the next size up. I didn't do that with my mini, and ended up filling the 4 gigs very quickly. I wet from 1000 songs to 2000 songs in about a year.

4. Norco macrumors regular

Buy another 80GB Classic for $170 @ refurb store.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I don't understand why you wouldn't just cancel your contract with Verizon and get an iPhone. I really don't get it when people say that. I mean, most of the time it costs $125 to $175 to cancel a contract with most carriers, sometimes less. If you spread that out over the 18 months you are required to keep it, that makes it less than $10 per month. Isn't it worth it to get an iPhone. The iPhone is incredible, AND it has phone service too. And 3G makes it like an anywhere computer to reply to emails and surf MacRumors.com. Plus, AT&T is subsidizing $200 of your iPhone costs anyway.

I would never let $175 early termination fee get in the way of a new iPhone for me. If someone is a few months away from meeting contract requirements, then wait it out. But if you have 18 months to go, LIFE IS TOO SHORT! Forget the iPod and buy an iPhone. Last I knew, an 11 GB music file will fit on a 16 GB iPhone.

That's my two cents.

6. Norco macrumors regular

Maybe he has a Blackberry through Verizon and so switching to an iPhone wouldn't be that big of an upgrade...

Not to mention, AT&T sucks. It's no wonder people jailbreak them to use with other carriers.

7. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

175 dollars just to cancel to get another phone?? Only 175...

wow

Come on, he already talked about price in his ipod, and your saying to pay a fee he does not have too?

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Why not get another iPod Classic? A refurb 80gb or brand new 120gb would both be much cheaper than the iPod touch, but with far bigger capacities. However, with 11gb of music, you may not grow as fast. It's easy to grow from 1000 to 2000. Once at 2000, it may take you a year just to get to 2500. 16gb could fit up to around 4000 songs*. By the time that your music collection had increased by another 2000 or so, it may be the time to upgrade again. Save the $100 now, and put it towards an upgrade two years later. $100 would buy a lot more then.

*128kbps at around 4 minutes long

9. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I second getting another classic. Amazon sells them cheaper than Apple.

I don't see much point in a touch if it can't also make phone calls, personally. That's a whole lotta money for what the classic can do.. minus the apps and net. And will you actually even make use of that since you won't have access to 3G?

10. Srai-W macrumors regular

Go for the biggest

I would say go for the biggest you can as I had the same thing I was going through when I got my 8gb nano... Now I wish I had gotten the standard ipod as I have like 7500 songs which at the moment is somewhere around 40gb. :eek: So yeah, I would say go for the 32gb touch if you can!

11. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

12. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

I would absolutely cancel the contract and get an iPhone-if it was my contract. Its my dad's, and my brother is on it as well. So it would be $175 for each line which would force them to spend more money as well.

Buying another classic seems like a good idea. I never even considered it until i read these replies. Its the cheapest per gb and it suits my needs. Thats probably what I'll get unless I can get a really good deal on the touch at Circuit City.

Edit:
    Actually the more i think about it the more it seems like it could work. If you're able to cancel just one line on the family plan, so the other line would have to go down to an individual plan, I could pay the $175 ETF, get a refurb 16 gig iPhone for $250, so i'd spend $425. But I don't even know if you can do that. Does anyone know? I am the primary line.

13. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

Arg I tried to get rid of the double post and it ended up posting a third reply!

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you cancel, you won't be the primary line anymore.

As with the phone, well I don't think it's worth paying ETF for the iPhone, but it is worth paying ETF to leave Verizon :D

15. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

I have it all figured out. I did some searching around, and it seems like I can cancel my contract, which would force my brother's line to go to an individual plan. I'll sell my Voyager on eBay, and I'll get at least $150 for it. So that would basically cover the ETF. Then I can finally get an iPhone!

16. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

The only thing bad about the iPhone is the data plan/cost, you know you will be paying $30 extra a month(for data), and that does not even include Texts. So your looking at another 15-20.

If it was 20, like the iPhone 2g, It would be awesome.

17. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about the theft,

I'd really recommend purchasing a refurb iPod, a refurb iPod Touch 16 or 32 GB to be exact. I've heard many good stories about refurb iPods, still comes with Apple's 1 year standard warranty plus you can return it. :)

18. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

Just talked to my dad, unfortunatley its a no go with the iPhone as of right now :mad:

19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Sorry to hear that. Life's too short, but not if you have a dad helping with a decision. Dad's generally know best and have a reason for wanting you to do the opposite of your wants (NOT NEEDS).

I would recommend an iPod Touch. You don't really have to keep all of your music on it all of the time. The app store and all of the games are really fun. And it will be like an iPhone all of the time when you have wifi access. So, if you have wireless at home/school/work, you can use it for all of the features except the phone. Oh yes, sorry to hear that your iPod was stolen.

20. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, now I just need to decide on the 16 or the 32 gig. Its a tough decision.

21. Baconbitsforu macrumors newbie

Go to unlose.it and buy there ipod tracking software I saved my ipod 2 times by finding the guy who took it.