Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rancod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Hello all,

My MacBook Pro was stolen almost 2 weeks ago, and I understand that I will never see it again, but what could I do to help prevent this in the future, or what software would yall suggest that could track or be used to recover the system?

Thanks

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Try iAlertU.

If your computer is on and iAlertU is running, if someone tries to steal it it will take a picture of who is stealing it via the isight, it will then send that picture to your desired email address.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Arr man that sucks, not a week goes past these days without someone coming on here saying their notebooks walked off, i cant give you any other advice that has not been giving already except don't let it out of your sight next time

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Sucks to have anything stolen but laptops are a big target for thiefs.

1. Never leave it unattended in a public place. Ever. Not even to go to the bathroom while sipping your latte at the coffee shop.

2. Never leave it in your car. Crooks break into cars all the time to steal far lesser items - your laptop is temptation they cannot resist.

3. Never leave it unattended at work either. Many people feel their desk at work is a safe place. It is not.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Sorry to hear your loss.

I'm making a "kit" for Macbook Pro owners (and I guess other laptop owners too :) ) to have one central place for all information relating to their computers. Many business type users should have this information anyway, but alot of home users won't understand where to begin. I can't give an est when its finished though.

The attatched section is the "insurance and tracking" section for the major businesses I could find who offer protection.

Attachments

• MBProkitpg4.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 94

rancod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for the quick posts guys. This is why I love the apple user groups, yall rock!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.