Stolen Laptop - Therefore No ITUNES!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cheesy83, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cheesy83 macrumors newbie

I have the Iphone 4 but unfortunatly had my laptop stolen a couple of weeks ago...

If i were to buy a mac book pro would i be able to trasfer all my data including my apps onto this??

thanks

2. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I believe that your app purchases can be reclaimed from the iTunes store, but not music/video unless of course you backed them up.

As for personal data and contacts I am unsure, but I would assume there's a way to do it.

3. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

When you sync your iPhone with your new Macbook Pro, it will get all your apps off your phone and put them in iTunes on the new computer. Just use the iTunes account and sign in like you used to.

You can also have it sync all your contacts and calendar stuff from your iPhone.

Did you have a backup of all your files and stuff from the stolen laptop? You can put all that back on the new one too, if so.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If you have music and video that you have purchased from apple I would ask apple that question. I have seen threads from others in the same position as you and apple sometimes says yes and apple sometimes says no... so it is worth a try.

If you have home insurance you should see if your computer is covered because of theft. You might even be able to recover the cost of all the software (and music + video) you lost and will have to buy again.

You can also write theft losses off on you tax return if you have a copy of the police report... check into that too.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I work for our regional police service and I can say from experience that laptops are stolen every day. They are stolen from homes when the owners are sleeping, they are stolen from homes when the owners are away. They are stolen from cars when the owners are "just in the coffee shop for a minute", they are stolen from cars when they're left in the driveway overnight. They are left in taxis and on busses and they never come back.

Or, sometimes their hard drives crash, or somebody trips over the power cable and they get yanked off the table, or somebody trips in the parking lot and they get dropped into a puddle. (A buddy of mine just lost every photo of his son he ever had due to a hard drive crash -- his kid is now 5 years old -- over a thousand photos, gone.)

The moral of this story is: Backup storage is about the cheapest insurance you can buy. I can buy an 8GB USB memory stick for $14 that will hold thousands of photos safely in my pocket, or office desk, or safety deposit box, forever. (That's less than half-a-cent per photo...) For $100 I can get a 1TB external HD that will store six times the contents of my entire laptop. (That's three-one-hundredth of a cent per photo...)

In 2011 if you don't have your laptop backed-up (or at least the irreplaceable / hard to replace stuff on it) I don't feel the least bit sorry for you.

6. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

You can transfer your apps to your computer (or redownload them at no charge) and If you have purchased music or movies or tv shows, when your iphone is in, in itunes, click file and click transfer purchases from ipod. hope this helps!

7. deafanimator macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now you learn hard lesson. Back up does easy work and does not take long. Saves you lot of problem.

Lost stuff is waste the time, stress, money, and felt idiot.