Stolen/ Lost MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSchnappi, Jun 22, 2012.

1. iSchnappi macrumors newbie

My backpack was lost/ stolen from my car including all my gadgets, stuff and my MacBook Pro. Any ideas how can I find/ track my laptop location using its IP or MAC address? Taking into consideration that my MBP device is n't shown/ included under the devices list of Find My Mac app in the iCloud service!
    Any ideas/ help 'll be highly appreciated.

Keeping in mind that I still can follow its updated IP Address from the Dropbox... As the device already was turned on and keep showing its new IP addresses in the Dropbox app from time to time...

However I was activating a Password on the System Logon!

Please Any ideas/ trying to help 'll be highly appreciated!

2. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

should have locked your car and not put ur macbook and stuff in the car itself...like in the trunk or something

none the less, its GONE. since u didnt bother with icloud, theres really nothing u can do. u can report this to the police, but they cant really do much either.

i suggest looking this as an excuse to purchase a new 2012 macbook!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's little you can do at this point to pin point its location since it wasn't enabled in iCloud.

bummer on your loss :(

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Sucks...I don't see how you can use the new ip address to your advantage. I think you might need to bite the bullet and get a new mbp

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

And people call me paranoid for never leaving my laptop bag in my car... take it into stores and restaurants and stuff if I have it with me...

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

That`s not being paranoid, it`s what I call being smart and looking after your gear...

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Just get a rider on your homeowner's insurance, encrypt your laptop and not worry so much.

Though I wouldn't consider what you do paranoid, just extra careful. I've also had my backpack with 2 MBAs stolen out of my car backseat. It's a very possible scenario.

8. wornout macrumors member

I do that too.

9. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

Sorry. Had this happen to me years ago with my beloved Powerbook.

I would make sure you watch your credit card statement and such just in case some bad guy got hold of something off your computer. A little paranoid, but better safe than sorry (and owing $$$ for stuff you never bought). I put a freeze on my accounts so nothing new could be opened for a year - not sure how you do it, but an option in the US with the credit agencies.

Can you file a claim with your auto insurance? At least get some $$$ for anew MBP.:)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here and if I have too, then it goes in the trunk but I generally take it where ever I go

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Most auto insurance only covers bolted items being stolen. Loose items (such as a laptop) are covered under homeowners even though it was in your car. I only know this cause I've had things stolen out of my Jeep Wrangler twice and my Saab once. Different homeowners and different auto providers each time but all had the same policy - bolted on = auto, loose = homeowner's.

EDIT: And I never had a rider on my homeowners to cover any items in my car but they always covered them for me. I only suggest getting a rider to ensure it is covered.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Be mindful for some the value of data far outweighs the value of the hardware. Yes you can back up, however you have to get home/office to complete the back up.

There is no substitute for physical security, i always keep my systems in sight when i travel, be it locally or internationally or safely secured out of sight. Leaving a Mac in a car is in general a bad idea, as vehicles are often targeted by thief's and high temperatures can have a negative effect n battery life.

I buy good quality sleeves and use nondescript bags, yes there are many cool, high tech notebook bags/backpacks on the market, but why advertise the content. An expensive bag is only stating that you have a reasonable expendable income and are likely to have something good inside, dont think for one second people dont know what they are looking for, they do.

The key is with some forethought you will avoid being a victim, i have traveled extensively since 1982 and never had an incident, even now with the family we take sensible precautions, as once something happens thats when the paranoia will kick in ;)

13. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

14. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

15. iSchnappi thread starter macrumors newbie

Many Thanks in Advance! However I know that, I did n't take the chance to use it on my stolen device :( ...
    And now it's already n't under ma control!!
    so any other suggestions to be used from a remote/ other device. Keeping in mind that I'm only having the MBP IP Address, Serial No., Part No., Airport ID, Ethernet ID, and Bluetooth ID as well

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry friend, not much you can do. Apple absolutely will do nothing for you and neither will the police. Actually, the police might do something, if the police station is right in front of the perp house and the perp has a notarized statement saying that they participated in a burglary. Unfortunately this is so common that police won't bother with a follow up. Only way to get them to move is include a software product like laptop lojack.

Obviously OS X isn't configured to allow remote owning after the fact (else everyone else would be doing it, too). If the recovery options weren't installed prior to the loss, there really is nothing else to do.

17. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Read my first post

18. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I am sorry to hear you. even though car is locked, don't leave valuable items where people could see like seats. get them into trunk at least. the best way is that you should take a bag whenever you go. even when you eat something outside, put your bag on the table (not under the table). so that you can see it all the time. it's not paranoid. nowadays, people try to steal everything if it is valuable to get a cash because of bad economy.

19. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

I had my homeowners cover, but was offered auto as option. Home owners covered more, though never mentioned distinction of bolted on versus loose items. Interesting.

Regardless, best policy is as many suggest, take it with you. I do that now, and on rare occasion I do not, it is only if I'm in a busy parking area (i.e. - in front of a restaurant deck or such) and then still lock in my trunk.

20. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I had one auto insurance offer $200 for the loose items which helps against the homeowners deductible. $200 was the most they would offer though.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you dont leave anything of value in the vehicle, you wont have to worry about such things. Today i bought my daughter a new iPad for her upcoming birthday, even something like this I dont leave the car, let a lone a $2K + Mac.

Thieves are what they are, however as individuals we should not help to give them any opportunity whatsoever.

22. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I take a lot of things around with me for my job. I can't just carry them into every place I visit. I imagine many other people have the same issue. Thankfully, insurance lets me not worry about it.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No insurance will replace my work, and in general that exceeds the cost of the machine. Only you know the content of your computer, if for you the risk is acceptable, that`s fine. For me it`s not, if I know portability is going to be an issue I take the "Air", however in general carrying a MBP is not overly burdensome.

24. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Exactly I was just on a tour in Quebec City and everyone gave me weird looks when I shlepped along my bag with my macbook air in it.

OP sorry about your loss though :(

25. Dalley986 macrumors newbie

Fuuny how I just found out who stole my ****. **** you chad . Too many details and now I know who did this. This guy wrote this in hopes of only covering his trail. But left too much. Had my iPhone 4S in there. My droid and my hotspot hub device. How do I report this ? As evidence

----------

He's only asking about insurance cause he wanted to know if I could claim it on my insurance. This guy is on drugs and paranoid. Don't help out a crook. Cops didn't do anything so I did. And now I got it back. They change my battery and whatever else i can't really tell. Broke stuff cause that's what tweakers do.